OEM Lug Nuts - checked yours?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mark Ducati

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Back when I had a new 2008 Z06, on a car that goes nearly 200mph, it was recommended by the guys on the corvetteforum.com to check your lug nuts...

Specifically, they stated that the lug nuts were to be torqued down to 70 ft. lbs. from the factory... so I bought a torque wrench and checked mine.

No joke, they were all about 40 ft. lbs.!

I forget the term, it might be "creep factor", that defines the fatiguing properties of "threads" when they're torqued into place...

Just like in my profession of dentistry, when I screw an abutment onto an implant for a crown, I torque the screw down to 35 newton centimeters. I make the patient a temporary crown, let them live in that temp for a few weeks, and then before I take the impression for the permanent crown, I torque it down again to 35 newton centimeters... and every time, I find that the screw will tighten more as the metal threads have "relaxed".

So... on a truck that can potentially take a lot of abuse... have you checked your lug nuts?

I don't remember where, but IIRC, I think they're supposed to be torqued to 80 ft. lbs, right?

OP
OP
M

Mark Ducati

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BTW, man I wish some of our vendors were closer to Atlanta... I've bartered my dental services for auto-service/work/go-fast-goodies for my G35/911/Z06...

Wish the cool shops were closer to me! Hahaha.

swoop1156

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've not checked mine. You're definitely correct in saying we should. I have a tire rotation planned for Tuesday, so I'll check them there!

Highroller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The spec for the Raptor Lugs is 150 ftlb's. I have 15000 mile on my truck and have rotated the tires every 4000 miles since new. I do this myself, don't trust the steelers. Anyway heres what works for me. I start by hand tightening the lugs, I then use the lug wrench in a cross pattern to make sure the wheel is centered and the lugs are seated. I then tourque them to 80 ftlbs still using the cross pattern, I then go up to 110 ftlbs, and then the final to 150. I then double check everything. After 100 miles or so I recheck the tourque and have yet to find a lug thats not still at 150ftlb's. Hope this helps. Mine where loose from the factory.

P.S. I use a 1/2" drive tourque wrench thats rated for 250ftlbs, a short 3" extention and a metric deep well impact socket. The metric socket fits nice and snug, and will keep you from cracking the chrome on the lugnuts. An SAE socket is too sloppy.

Note: When buying a tourque wrench, your needed tourque value should never be more than 2/3rds the wrench rating.

Here's the wrench I have, I have checked it against my smaller Snapon and it's spot on and a well built tool.

Husky 1/2 in. Drive Torque Wrench - 39104T at The Home Depot

Last edited:

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
150 ft-lbs? Holy cow, that half-again the torque value for any vehicle I've ever owned. Geeze, I'm going to go check!

tnsbruce

Reaction score
150 ft-lbs? Holy cow, that half-again the torque value for any vehicle I've ever owned. Geeze, I'm going to go check!

I had to buy a bigger torque wrench for this beast - 150 ft-lbs takes some effort to get to. I also need a bigger compressor - my impact gun struggles to remove the nuts.

HoustonRider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
150 ft lbs is pretty common for a truck these days.

If you get something done at a tire shop or dealer, I would go home, back em off a few pounds, then go to 150 on your torque wrench. Usually the dealer could care less and will wrench em down with a 250 ft lb impact. Discount Tire is good about torque specs, though I always recheck again at 50+ miles.

Overtightening isn't good either. It can warp your wheels, your rotors and break your studs.

SVTF150

Formerly Whazzup
Reaction score
....P.S. I use a 1/2" drive tourque wrench thats rated for 250ftlbs, a short 3" extention and a metric deep well impact socket. The metric socket fits nice and snug, and will keep you from cracking the chrome on the lugnuts. An SAE socket is too sloppy.
Note: When buying a tourque wrench, your needed tourque value should never be more than 2/3rds the wrench rating.
Here's the wrench I have, I have checked it against my smaller Snapon and it's spot on and a well built tool.
Husky 1/2 in. Drive Torque Wrench - 39104T at The Home Depot

Thanks for the recommendation!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Arizona Free