OEM Bed Extender, Bed Missing Threads, Anyone Else ??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ellison3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The riv-nuts come in various sizes to accommodate all needs. There might be situations that require the riv-nut to be filed/ cut for clearance in a particular application.

My mod has held the catch can with not issues. Should work good for you guys if the dealerships don’t come through.

MrLiou168

Reaction score
I thought about transferring it from my Gen 2 to Gen 3 as well, but realized that the actual P/N is different. Did anyone on here actually buy the updated P/N?

aileron

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2019 Gen2 did not have threads in the bed holes either. The bolts I got with the bed extender kit were self-tapping. Steel into soft aluminum, works fine, but probably you won't be able to remove them in a few years, hah.

If you want to, you can buy a thread tap at any good hardware store (not Home Depot). Take the bed extender bolt with you to find the thread - note that it is metric. That's what I did for my Gen3.

TheTip247

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2019 Gen2 did not have threads in the bed holes either. The bolts I got with the bed extender kit were self-tapping. Steel into soft aluminum, works fine, but probably you won't be able to remove them in a few years, hah.

If you want to, you can buy a thread tap at any good hardware store (not Home Depot). Take the bed extender bolt with you to find the thread - note that it is metric. That's what I did for my Gen3.

There is literally no material behind the hole to tap in to. I had to self tap my 19. Just picked up my 22 on Friday and its literally just like the bed skin there (and now my spray in liner material), there is nothing there that any type of bolt would or could thread to

OP
OP
BabaMike

BabaMike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is literally no material behind the hole to tap in to. I had to self tap my 19. Just picked up my 22 on Friday and its literally just like the bed skin there (and now my spray in liner material), there is nothing there that any type of bolt would or could thread to
Exactly

OP
OP
BabaMike

BabaMike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought about transferring it from my Gen 2 to Gen 3 as well, but realized that the actual P/N is different. Did anyone on here actually buy the updated P/N?
I just like to know what type of hardware it comes with
I guess I’ll call the dealer tomorrow

aileron

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Damn, sorry, I misunderstood! Not even missing the threads, but missing the block where the threads would be. That sucks.

RaptorTX

Reaction score
My 2019 superduty was like that and I bought the Ford OEM bed extender. Just screw it in as they are self taping and I never had a problem. I never had to tighten them or noticed any issues after install.