OEM alarm going off for no reason

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
i just don't lock it. i have to send the truck to the dealer for a multitude of issues it's having. only 19k miles on it and it's falling apart. a new error began appearing "front camera failure". it also has an intermittent issue where there is a very loud whining noise, i think it may be the water pump although the temps haven't been out of normal. the battery will die if i don't drive the truck for 2-3 days. alarm issue. some leaks from the cv axles up front...

Has the windshield been replaced? If it has, it is a factory windshield? Aftermarket windshields can cause issues with the IPM-A (camera on interior rear view mirror). The IPM-A also needs to be recalibrated after windshield replacement.

Are you at stock ride height? The most common cause of CV axle boot damage is aftermarket lifts/“leveling” kits.

and of course ford won't adress most of them bc they have to actively see them. so i'm gonna drive the truck there, lock it and wait until the alarm goes off to let them see it for themselves. such BS.

i already had the truck in for the battery. i went to pick up some stuff i left inside the cab and the truck alarm began going off in front of the tech...the service advisor claimed they didn't notice any issues with the alarm though. ******* great service!

Something as simple as a bug flying around in the truck will set off the motion sensor. Regardless, the scan tool has a set of PIDs that show what triggered the most recent alarm event. That can be very useful in determining root cause of the activation and getting it resolved.

As far as the battery drain, yes, it needs to occur to diagnose it. If they let the truck sleep and the draw is within spec (50 milliamps), there is nothing they can do. Do you have any aftermarket equipment on the truck? Lights, electronics, OBD devices, etc?

OP
OP
H

highwhey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has the windshield been replaced? If it has, it is a factory windshield? Aftermarket windshields can cause issues with the IPM-A (camera on interior rear view mirror). The IPM-A also needs to be recalibrated after windshield replacement.

Are you at stock ride height? The most common cause of CV axle boot damage is aftermarket lifts/“leveling” kits.

Something as simple as a bug flying around in the truck will set off the motion sensor. Regardless, the scan tool has a set of PIDs that show what triggered the most recent alarm event. That can be very useful in determining root cause of the activation and getting it resolved.

As far as the battery drain, yes, it needs to occur to diagnose it. If they let the truck sleep and the draw is within spec (50 milliamps), there is nothing they can do. Do you have any aftermarket equipment on the truck? Lights, electronics, OBD devices, etc?
thank you for the reply.

yes, windshield was replaced, i remember the window tech saying they recalibrated some sensor, but it was a good while ago.i will bring this up to ford.

stock ride height, no mods. i have off roaded pretty often but nothing extreme to where i was hitting stuff. my front skid plate has some scratches...no dents that indicate i hit something.

does the whining noise sound like it could be the water pump? tried to take a video of it to upload it here but of course the noise decided to hide. it's been pretty consistent on every drive.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
thank you for the reply.

yes, windshield was replaced, i remember the window tech saying they recalibrated some sensor, but it was a good while ago.i will bring this up to ford.

stock ride height, no mods. i have off roaded pretty often but nothing extreme to where i was hitting stuff. my front skid plate has some scratches...no dents that indicate i hit something.

does the whining noise sound like it could be the water pump? tried to take a video of it to upload it here but of course the noise decided to hide. it's been pretty consistent on every drive.

Water pumps do not typically whine; the symptom of a failing one is most commonly a coolant leak and a roughness or play in the bearing while turning the pulley by hand.

Does the noise occur at a specific engine or vehicle speed? Does it seem to be coming from the engine bay or somewhere else?

OP
OP
H

highwhey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Water pumps do not typically whine; the symptom of a failing one is most commonly a coolant leak and a roughness or play in the bearing while turning the pulley by hand.

Does the noise occur at a specific engine or vehicle speed? Does it seem to be coming from the engine bay or somewhere else?
definitely the engine bay. i did notice when it first began happening, i'd turn on the vehicle and there was like a 2 second delay from the engine turning on and when the noise would appear. it seems to be more apparent when idling. that could just be that i am noticing it when i'm at a stop light and not when i'm doing 70 on the highway. i've tried turning the a/c off when it appears and it doesn't seem to go away. accelerating to driving speed does make it go away, not instantly but it does go away somewhat quickly.

13rapblktor

Reaction score
Here is the fix with pics…….bend the spring loaded sensor bracket under the hood up towards the sky as it weakens after time and doesn’t fully compress. I had the exact same issue and just unplugged the connector. Now it’s 100% properly operational!

Attachments

• C11A8A66-8013-46E0-8125-EE7B63D20076.jpeg
    C11A8A66-8013-46E0-8125-EE7B63D20076.jpeg
    150.6 KB · Views: 16
  • 808E3777-DD7E-4D49-B9E8-8980342C89AF.jpeg
    808E3777-DD7E-4D49-B9E8-8980342C89AF.jpeg
    130.3 KB · Views: 15