OEM “There’s a great future in plastics. Think about it.”

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KAH 24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The quote in the header is from The Graduate (1967). Although it screened years before I was born, it is one of my favorite classics.

Hopefully some understand that I’m not creating a great debate on oil pans—as I do understand that some Raptor owners are salty due to experiences—which is understandable.

OEMs (including my own) can either innovate or stagnate—two extremes yes, and the sweet spot is what competition forces us to find.

Personally, I have no issue with the composite pan on my 2018 and own/have owned vehicles with metal/composite parts in places unimaginable years ago.

There are pros/cons to everything—as some still don’t like aluminum body panels/structural parts/frames vs. steel. Heck, some folks are still pissed that the BlackBerry died in favor of touchscreen smartphones.

As an OEM, I embrace the potential and “there is a great future in plastics.” Mass production can bring down the costs—while achieving/exceeding engineering targets.

Good evening and perhaps I need to schedule a viewing of Mrs. Robinson.

NOTE1: The attached link is for those who like to nerd out. Fascinating overview—of oil pans.

NOTE2: I can’t take credit for uncovering this article, as a colleague shared this gem as part of what we nerds do while locked up in the nerdery.

NOTE3: The good news is for those who don’t like composites, it will help support aftermarket suppliers of metal parts for those who want them. Win-win!

Last edited:

Jakenbake

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Can’t say I have ever seen a 2 stroke with an oil pan, I assume that might apply to a 2 stroke diesel.

Long read and written like a typical technical document (buries the details) lol.

Pros/cons I’ll buy the corrosion part. Weight….. I’d be interested to see the total weight of each pan (I know I’m sure it is lighter) to see how much lighter it really is. It also mentions metal pans can dent. I would probably prefer a dent to a crack.

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I was surprised when one of my dirt bikes, a Honda XR650R, came with a plastic skid plate. At the time, everyone in the magazines agreed that was no good and that it needed to be immediately replaced with an aftermarket aluminum skid if you bought one. I had that bike almost 10 years and rode the crap out of it. The "junk" plastic skid plate was still fine when I sold it.

OP
OP
KAH 24

KAH 24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can’t say I have ever seen a 2 stroke with an oil pan, I assume that might apply to a 2 stroke diesel.

Long read and written like a typical technical document (buries the details) lol.

Pros/cons I’ll buy the corrosion part. Weight….. I’d be interested to see the total weight of each pan (I know I’m sure it is lighter) to see how much lighter it really is. It also mentions metal pans can dent. I would probably prefer a dent to a crack.

Look at it through the eyes of an OEM. That is why I am enthusiastic.

Market research shows that speed bumps and gravel roads are about as intense as it gets for the majority of luxury/premium trucks/SUVs—until they are on owner 3 or 4 (plenty of industry data validates this)—along with what everyone sees driving around on a daily basis.

Jakenbake

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Look at it through the eyes of an OEM. That is why I am enthusiastic.

Market research shows that speed bumps and gravel roads are about as intense as it gets for the majority of luxury/premium trucks/SUVs—until they are on owner 3 or 4 (plenty of industry data validates this)—along with what everyone sees driving around on a daily basis.
I get where you are coming from and I can see the benefits. I didn't read the whole thing given how long it was so I am sure there were plenty I didn't see. But with everything there are certainly strengths and weaknesses.

On the Offroad dent thing I was just commenting on a "pro" the article said for plastic.

I looked it up and "plastic" has a unit weight that is about 12% of steel so I would be interested to see the volume of plastic needed vs that of say steel.

OP
OP
KAH 24

KAH 24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I get where you are coming from and I can see the benefits. I didn't read the whole thing given how long it was so I am sure there were plenty I didn't see. But with everything there are certainly strengths and weaknesses.

On the Offroad dent thing I was just commenting on a "pro" the article said for plastic.

I looked it up and "plastic" has a unit weight that is about 12% of steel so I would be interested to see the volume of plastic needed vs that of say steel.

“Plastic” was meant in humor as a movie reference.

My apologies.

Engineered composites are tailored for specific OEM applications—ie oil pan heat/chemical degradation/sealing/impact resistance/compatibility with mating to alloy surfaces.

For an OEM, an impact that would cause a well designed composite pan to fail/leak—would breach an alloy of the same weight (we aren’t talking titanium, high strength aluminum alloys, or high end steel).

No contest. Pound for pound as unit costs drop and processes improve,...

Last edited:

Joey DeLorenzo

Reaction score
This is well timed.

The oil pan on my truck was just swapped out last week, I believe with it's metal counterpart. I didn't even notice I was having an issue. No oil leaks on the ground or "embarrassing" spots when I'd pull away from extended parks.

When I took my truck in for an unrelated issue it was diagnosed as leaking and replaced with a newer part number.

At first I was happy it was the metal part, thinking it'd be more durable, but truth be told, as an aviator, I'm a big fan of composites where they make sense. It just goes to show how people can separate work from home very well. Some things should, and need to be in an alloy, but if it's a composite that's been designed, engineered, and tested for a purpose. I'm all about it. The only issue is a lot these "durable" or "strong" composites cost big money. This isn't ABS plastic or double shot plastic we're talking about lol. In some cases the cheaper option is the alloy.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I wore Arai for years. Tested them out a number of times also. Great helmet for my $10 head.
Arai. Two thumbs up from me. I took a spill at about 35-40mph and got flailed off the bike. I was wearing a full suit, gloves and 800 dollar Arai. That aria took very hard hit to the chin and left side of the face shield to the upper helmet. It was well scuffed up and definitely did the job.