GEN 1 Oddity or odd *****

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EmbDriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So yesterday flushed my brakes put on new pads and rotors...just under the hood checking things out, open the rad cap and notice a greyish sludge on the bottom of the cap.....now I pulled the oil, everything is fine, thinking my head gasket pooped the bed. Since the oil is fine, Where do I go from here? Water pump slowly going out? I did flush the rad 4 months ago, do you think it is just material from the new fluid like silica falling out? Truck btw runs fine! Any thoughts would be good, except from 911crazy due to his prius and all!

Ricoman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey...yeah...911 Crazy just might be Crazy....
Well,I was a Diesel Mechanic and Engine Rebuilder for 15 years....its been 30 year now,but know Oil and Water dont mix and Gray Shit on Rad. Cap and/or Oil Dip Stick is not a good thing....not gonna stick my neck out for all the Raptor Experts to rip off...but back in the day that meant Head Gasket/Cracked Head/Cracked Block....Gray usually means Oil and Water mixed.....sorry I cant give a simple or good answer for you... :-( but truck running good dont mean anything,only means you caught it before it did major damage....Personally I'd get it checked before you put many more miles on it and hope you can say I was wrong......

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
You say you "pulled the oil", guessing you looked at the underside of the oil fill cap? Any greyish sludge?

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
What's in your overflow for the rad? Is it dirty?, bet it's fine, just go offroad and have fun, stay out of the Starbucks drive thru, sounds like some of your latte got under the cap when you were filling it up. :33:

JohnyPython

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Maybe send a sample of oil or coolant to Blackstone labs for analysis. Pretty cheap and you’ll know for sure if there’s any mixing/contamination.

OP
OP
EmbDriver

EmbDriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nothing under oil cap, nothing in overflow tank all clean.....This is what is stumping me.... Corona...timmy hortons far better than starbucks. I think she needs another look other than what I have. Ricoman, I hope you are wrong, but I always prep for the worst.

The lack of Contamination in other areas leads me to believe this is either the Rad itself with the P/S cooler lines in it or the waterpump itself.....yet no higher temps.......

Ricoman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nothing under oil cap, nothing in overflow tank all clean.....This is what is stumping me.... Corona...timmy hortons far better than starbucks. I think she needs another look other than what I have. Ricoman, I hope you are wrong, but I always prep for the worst.

The lack of Contamination in other areas leads me to believe this is either the Rad itself with the P/S cooler lines in it or the waterpump itself.....yet no higher temps.......

I TOTALLY AGREE with you and hope I'm wrong.....just my 2 cents from past experience....LMK what you find out....!

Ricoman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:biggun: maybe i should throw a hellcat motor in it? haha

That would work....but do you really want a Dodge running your Raptor..LOL....go get a new 6.2 and Supercharge it and burn the Hellcats on the road...LOLOLOLOLOL
I've had a few pull up along side me...never got to try,cause they were cool and just gave me a Thumbs Up and a big ass smile..!!

OP
OP
EmbDriver

EmbDriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so with some of this gunk...when I rubbed it between my fingers it had a fine grit feel to it, it is not smooth.... I would not call it the oh **** milkshake yet