Odd Sync 2 issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jedijoy13

Reaction score
Hey all, I bought this truck last year and have considered replacing the radio for a while now. I may tackle that project over the winter. But the point of this post is to try to fix my odd Sync 2 problem. For some reason when I have the either the NAV SD or a USB stick plugged into the USB interface module in the center console, the SD and UB slots stop working. They usually work for an entire trip, but if I get shut off the truck and leave them plugged in, they stop working. If I leave them unplugged before I leave the truck, then plug them in after I start up, they tend to work fine, so I just leave them unplugged all the time. Seems to be a power issue, as the AV plugs work regardless of whether the SD and USB plugs are working or not.

Anyone run into this issue? Figured I'd try to post here to try to solve it. I figure I can try to replace the USB module, but was hoping someone would chime in with a similar problem before doing that. I could probably tolerate the Sync 2 for a little longer if I could figure out how to fix it.

I have the 8" Sony with NAV package in the truck.

pat247

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Have you tried the master reset of the SYNC system? If not that is where I would start.

OP
OP
J

Jedijoy13

Reaction score
yeah, I updated the system and did a master reset. Also checked the cable at the module to make sure it wasn't loose (it isn't that I can tell). I'm stumped as to what could be causing it. Bad APIM?

Note sure if it's related, but I suppose I forgot to mention that every now and then the touch screen freezes. I can see the 4 quadrants, but tapping doesn't do anything. This usually happens after going and reverse and shifting back to drive. I can get the screen back by shifting into reverse and back to drive a second time.