Odd Sounds: Autostart & Ticking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nesc204

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Consider it normal. Sounds goes away so run it and enjoy. The 6.2L engine is one of if not the most reliable engine out there. I know plenty of construction workers with 100s of thousands hard milage on em they just keep going and going

FiveOsvt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had that same ticking noise, I can actually hear it with the radio off in the cab faintly, around the drivers side firewall/footwell area. It probably is the coils, I never felt like chasing it because I have never had any issues other then the annoying ticking sound. Will probably just go ahead and replace the coils and plugs. Im only sitting at around 62k miles on my 14.

jgwoody

Reaction score
I have searched around and not found anything regarding what I’m hearing/experiencing. If anyone knows of threads about these please share.

2014 w 112k miles is making a weird clunk/grind sound when I auto start it cold in the morning. Sounds like it’s coming from the passenger side of the engine. If it’s warmer out it sometimes doesn’t happen. I have no idea what this could be - help me out! Video below attached below
View attachment 312836

Other weird sound is a ticking I get on start up that sounds like it’s coming from the radiator maybe. Ticking sometimes stops after it gets warm, but sometimes just keeps on ticking. I am planning on changing the CPV as I heard that could be it, but figured I’d ask here as I didn’t find much in the forums here about it. Video attached below as well.
View attachment 312837

I did have the plugs, wires and boots just recently changed at 106k. Coil packs weren’t changed at time due to cost, but it’s on the list.

TYIA
I have both these issues too...well, had. 72k on a 2013 SCREW. The second one was very obviously broken boots causing arcing when I looked under the hood at night in the dark. Replaced those. As for the first clunking noise, I still haven't figured it out. Did you? I'm not too worried about it, but still would like to know lol

OP
OP
MFNG

MFNG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have both these issues too...well, had. 72k on a 2013 SCREW. The second one was very obviously broken boots causing arcing when I looked under the hood at night in the dark. Replaced those. As for the first clunking noise, I still haven't figured it out. Did you? I'm not too worried about it, but still would like to know lol
I was told it’s the air conditioning compressor kicking on. It seems that it only happened in warmer months so I’m rolling with that.

Haven’t had any issues with any of it, but love the truck so much that the weird sounds get me worried!