Odd Sounds: Autostart & Ticking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nesc204

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same for but I remote start every time except when pulling out of the garage or in driveway and never noticed it during those times, only when remote starts

OP
OP
MFNG

MFNG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2013 makes the clunk noise when I remote start her up. Not sure if it makes the noise if I start her with the key. Will try to listen when I start her up next time. Been wondering about that for awhile, but I don't remote start her often.

Same for but I remote start every time except when pulling out of the garage or in driveway and never noticed it during those times, only when remote starts
I checked mine previously and the sound is still there regardless of start up method, although if it’s over 80F outside it doesn’t seem to do it always...mostly.

I haven’t looked into “The Clunk” thread deeply, but if anyone has knowledge is this the infamous “clunk” everyone is taking about?

My 2014 has just recently started doing it so I figured it wasn’t because from my light investigation in the past this was something that was always there and Ford claims is normal.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I checked mine previously and the sound is still there regardless of start up method, although if it’s over 80F outside it doesn’t seem to do it always...mostly.

I haven’t looked into “The Clunk” thread deeply, but if anyone has knowledge is this the infamous “clunk” everyone is taking about?

My 2014 has just recently started doing it so I figured it wasn’t because from my light investigation in the past this was something that was always there and Ford claims is normal.
The “clunk” you refer to, was the driveshaft yoke needing to be greased, then Ford started replacing the driveshaft for 2011 and later, but my dealer put a new one on my 2010 anyway :)

OP
OP
MFNG

MFNG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Easy to verify, pop the hood, remote start watch the compressor pulley. If you see it engage or disengage with the sound then you know :)
Thanks for the advice!

I tried that but it just kept honking and not starting. Is there a feature where it won’t Autostart if the hood is popped?!

B E N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yeah, there is a hood switch, I think it is on the drivers side about half way down the fender. They do this so you don't bump the remote start while you are changing belts :). Just close that switch with a clamp or zip tie.