Odd Sounds: Autostart & Ticking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TAC71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine makes a a knocking sound on cold start, just for a second or two. I have my remote start set to defrost or cool automatically. Which means the ac compressor kicks in just after start up. Listened to the compressor with a stethoscope and my ac compressor sounds noisy. Haven't done anything about it yet, but I will first check the charge in the system before putting on a new compressor.

Turn off your heater/ ac and see if you still hear it, you need to disable remote start heat/ac if your checking it by remote starting.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Dark revealed what looks like at least two and three on the right arcing, thanks for the suggestion @MurderedOutSVT.

View attachment 312900

Looks like a full replacement of coil packs is coming. Wanted to do it with the plugs at 106k but didn’t have the money at the time.

Now, on to that clunk at start up...

Thanks to those who are viewing me learn how much I don’t know!
That’s cool. Sort of …. Are you going with oem or is there a good alternative. Haven’t done mine yet and I’m at 140ish miles, so I know I should be doing them as well.

OP
OP
MFNG

MFNG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That’s cool. Sort of …. Are you going with oem or is there a good alternative. Haven’t done mine yet and I’m at 140ish miles, so I know I should be doing them as well.
That’s a great question. Anyone have any suggestions to go above OEM?

I feel like this is a situation where what was placed there by SVT is best, being a major functional component and all, but then again they have failed, and if this is going to happen again I’ll go above and beyond to ensure there isn’t another failure.

OP
OP
MFNG

MFNG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think that clunking sound at 9 sec is just the IWE unlocking. Put it in 4wd next time you park it before you shut if off, see if it goes away on next startup.
I have an RCV IWE delete on it. Any other possibilities?

Nesc204

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine did that since I 1st bought it brand new and 170,000 miles and counting never had any problems and still does it in start up. It always goes away in a few seconds. Never had any problems. I have always just took as normal

OP
OP
MFNG

MFNG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine did that since I 1st bought it brand new and 170,000 miles and counting never had any problems and still does it in start up. It always goes away in a few seconds. Never had any problems. I have always just took as normal
Thanks. Click or Clunk?

P4SHOCAT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My 2013 makes the clunk noise when I remote start her up. Not sure if it makes the noise if I start her with the key. Will try to listen when I start her up next time. Been wondering about that for awhile, but I don't remote start her often.