Odd Sounds: Autostart & Ticking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MFNG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have searched around and not found anything regarding what I’m hearing/experiencing. If anyone knows of threads about these please share.

2014 w 112k miles is making a weird clunk/grind sound when I auto start it cold in the morning. Sounds like it’s coming from the passenger side of the engine. If it’s warmer out it sometimes doesn’t happen. I have no idea what this could be - help me out! Video below attached below
View attachment IMG_8922.MOV

Other weird sound is a ticking I get on start up that sounds like it’s coming from the radiator maybe. Ticking sometimes stops after it gets warm, but sometimes just keeps on ticking. I am planning on changing the CPV as I heard that could be it, but figured I’d ask here as I didn’t find much in the forums here about it. Video attached below as well.
View attachment IMG_8948.MOV

I did have the plugs, wires and boots just recently changed at 106k. Coil packs weren’t changed at time due to cost, but it’s on the list.

TYIA

SVTTrooper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First sound clip at 9 seconds.. that noise that I can't explain either. Dealer told me it's just cams and the 6.2 is just a noisy engine but not to worry.. wasn't thrilled on that lol.

Problably not what you want to hear.. but mines made the same sound for the 40k miles I've put on it and had zero issues.

As for the 2nd clip I have no clue.

Maybe @FordTechOne can chime in.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Sounds like something engaged and made a clunk sound. Haven't heard that on mine yet. Do you have any accessories running when you start it? I mean like the AC etc, make sure everything is off and see if it goes away or not.

OP
OP
MFNG

MFNG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like something engaged and made a clunk sound. Haven't heard that on mine yet. Do you have any accessories running when you start it? I mean like the AC etc, make sure everything is off and see if it goes away or not.
I do leave AC running currently as I have kids that need to hop in when we get out the door.

I’ll try without and report back.

OP
OP
MFNG

MFNG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That ticking is weird, so intermittent, alsomost sounds like something electrical is arcing
So a search here in what would be the appropriate forum “Gen 1 Engine...” turned up nothing after a few searches with varying subject matters related to what I am experiencing.

A Google search turned up YouTube videos of the arcing of coil packs on various 6.2’s and a couple of FRF posts regarding the subject.

The longer I am on here the less I value searching on this website. Google/DuckDuckGo/etc have linked to threads here more reliably than the search function here before the hack and after. Just my 2¢.

Coil pack corrosion/damage seems to be more likely than the CPV after digging my head into the engine bay. Looks like Drivers side on one, two and potentially three could be the culprit. I couldn’t see any physical arcing but the sound is prominently there.

Pulled number two in the right and found no corrosion on the spring or pellet, and no damage to the newish boots. Coil pack had no visible corrosion or holes on number two where arcing could be escaping. Ran out of time but will check the other coil packs tomorrow.

Keep the ideas coming if
@FordTechOne

OP
OP
MFNG

MFNG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dark revealed what looks like at least two and three on the right arcing, thanks for the suggestion @MurderedOutSVT.

View attachment IMG_8950.MOV

Looks like a full replacement of coil packs is coming. Wanted to do it with the plugs at 106k but didn’t have the money at the time.

Now, on to that clunk at start up...

Thanks to those who are viewing me learn how much I don’t know!