Ocotillo Wells State Vehicular Recreation Area (SVRA)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thought I'd share this "data sheet" on Ocotillo Wells I've put together so others can use this basic information and links...

Ocotillo Wells State Vehicular Recreation Area (SVRA)
5172 Highway 78
Borrego Springs, CA
District Office: (760) 767-5391
Ranger Station: (760) 767-5391
Pioneer's Memorial Hospital: (760) 344-2120
Emergency: 911

More than 80,000 acres of magnificent desert are open for off-highway exploration and recreation within the boundaries portrayed on the park map are operated by California State Parks. Outside the boundaries, to the south and east, large tracts of BLM land (U.S. Department of the Interior, Bureau of Land Management) are also open to off-highway vehicles. The western boundary and part of the northern boundary connect with the half-million acre Anza-Borrego Desert State Park, which is closed to off-highway recreation, but open to exploration by highway-legal vehicles along established primitive roads.

The rangers and staff of Ocotillo Wells are dedicated to providing a safe and enjoyable desert riding environment, and to ensuring that a quality experience remains available for future generations.

No fees are collected for camping or day use. Open camping is permitted throughout the unit for up to 30 days per calendar year. Vault toilets, shade ramadas, picnic tables, and fire rings are located in the Quarry, Main Street, and Holmes Camp areas. Water is not available. Vehicle repair shops, fuel, telephones, groceries, a motel and restaurants are available in the neighboring small town of Ocotillo Wells and along Highway 78 where it borders the park.

Camping:
Ocotillo Wells is open seven days a week, 24 hours a day. Open camping is available throughout the park for up to 30 days per calendar year. Camping is not permitted at the Shell Reef, Devils Slide, and Blow Sand Hill areas. If you are in a self-contained vehicle with holding tanks, fill your tanks before you arrive—water filling stations are not available.

Links:

Ocotillo Wells State Vehicular Recreation Area (SVRA) – State Web site: Ocotillo Wells SVRA

Blow Sand
Ocotillo Wells GPS Map for Garmin Receivers

Maps!
1. Map of the area:
http://ohv.parks.ca.gov/pages/1170/files/OcotilloMap_WEB.pdf

2. Blow Sand dot com map:
Ocotillo Wells SVRA Map

3. GPS map for Garmin receivers:
Anza-Borrego Explorer - A GPS Map for Garmin Receivers
Anza-Borrego Explorer - Ocotillo Wells State Vehicular Recreation Area

4. Topo map
Ocotillo Wells State Vehicular Recreation Area Topo Map

---------- Post added at 08:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:15 AM ----------

OW trail map
http://www.anzaborregoexplorer.com/MapCoverage/images/OcotilloWellsMap-Wide.JPG

OcotilloWellsMap-Wide.jpg

Aaron

Meme Corps Commandant
Reaction score
Hey Noah been trying to call you back. Figure your reception sucks though.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah, you only get cell reception in certain spots out there. and its very minimal at best....

---------- Post added at 10:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:48 PM ----------

Get out there and explore!

Make sure you go to Shell Reef! Lots to watch there :roflsquared:
hell, i dont know where that is/was. i just followed everyone. where they went, i went.....

bigrig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am not sure how successful I will be to resurrect a 4yo thread but here it goes:

I have headed to Ocotillo Wells for Tierra Del Sol the past three years. It is mostly and excuse to see old college buddies and blow off a cannon since the routes during that event favor rock crawlers.

I know terrain exists out there that would be more suitable for the Raptor though. I was wondering if anybody has a specific route they would suggest.

I was going to start with Shell Reef per Dan's last post but if anybody has advice on connecting trails it would be helpful. Any lowrance (.usr) files would be extremely helpful too.

Thanks y'all!

Last edited: