O offset rim and offroading

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Harvey Singh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I picked up a 2019 raptor and already have taken it off road and for a few baby jumps.

I’m wondering if 0 offset rims and 35” tires ( specifically Toyo MT’s ) would cause damage to the fender flare. I know the outer part of the fender flare hangs lower the inside part of the flare.

With a 0 offset rim and 35” tire you have about an inch of poke, would jumping / off roading the raptor with this setup with wheel poke cause any cosmetic damage? Anyone ever done this or heard of anyone doing this?

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
The live valve shock trucks ride a little higher in the front and I think a straight jump may well be fine, it’s where the clearance is tight that you’re going to rub, like compression with wheels turned or full rear axle articulation, etc.

Peterb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
baby jumps ? grow up to be big boy jumps on the prairies,
rear bump stops, deavers and geisers up front
toyo mts are a win

daystaff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A wheel's offset is simply the distance between its centerline and its hub-mounting surface. It determines where the wheel sits, laterally, its track width, how your suspension reacts vis-?-vis its motion ratio, and, when bungled up, can make a good car look ridonculous and an otherwise well-handling one steer like a sea vessel. Offset is typically expressed in millimeters and can be categorized in three ways:

Positive: Here, the wheel's hub-mounting surface sits closer to its outboard side. The larger the number, the farther a wheel's mass gets pushed underneath the car, reducing the overall track width. Most FWD cars have positive-offset wheels, which creates a negative scrub radius upfront and affects how well it'll handle, how stable it'll feel, and is the first thing that gets screwed up when jerking around with the wrong wheels.

Negative: A wheel with an offset less than zero positions its hub-mounting surface closer to its inboard side, giving the illusion that the wheel's been moved away from the car and increasing track width. The smaller the number, the farther away the wheel's mass will sit. Many RWD cars have negative-offset wheels.

Zero: Here the wheel's hub-mounting surface aligns with its centerline in mathematical bliss.

Once you know your original wheels' offset, you can determine what else might fit. Mount the wheel back onto the car and measure the distance between the tire and whatever it might hit, like a suspension member, for example. Keep in mind that only half the width of whatever new wheel you're considering has to fill that space, so you might have more room than you think.