Ny Tinted window

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

raptoragecar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The other day got pulled over for speeding and I was ticketed just for a plate cover and the front window tint. I found out that you can remove the tint and get your ticket annulled (NY). Check your state law. Hope this help.

Wfo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I had 20% on my 02wrx when it was new. I got so many tint tickets that I decided that dark tint in NY wasn’t worth the hassle. I will get my 18 done with 70% which I believe is legal in NY.

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I had 20% on my 02wrx when it was new. I got so many tint tickets that I decided that dark tint in NY wasn’t worth the hassle. I will get my 18 done with 70% which I believe is legal in NY.

It's 80 now.

Bigs125

Reaction score
It's still 70%. Window tint is now part of the NYS vehicle inspection process.

Can I have tinted windows on my vehicle?

Effective January 1st 2017, examination of tinted or shaded windows will be required during motor vehicle inspections. A video about this change is available on YouTube.

Section 375 (12-a) of the NYS Vehicle and Traffic Law does not allow a windshield or front side windows that are dark.

• The windshield and front side windows cannot block more than 30% of the light.
    • Seventy percent or more of the light from the outside must pass through the window.

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Sweet. Then I'm still legal. For some reason I thought they had moved it to 80 recently.

OP
OP
raptoragecar

raptoragecar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Correct.
I went 85 in the front, just because when at the store I tested the 70 on the window the tester read 65, so technically you can get a ticket.
Test it before installing.