GEN 2 Not the greatest paint

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yoshi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
would be really odd if ford does 1 clear on some parts and more on others
Well for example, look up on the upper fender by the headlight, on both my fenders, there is only primer with faint hint of base coat covered with clear coat. You can't see it, but they seem to stop where its visible to the eye. And I had a scratch on the headlight trim, body shop manager with 20 year experience said leave it alone, do not polish it you will burn through clear. True story, Autonation Ford.
So now he's got me freaking out about polishing my truck.

20190312_184200.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

loupuleff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well for example, look up on the upper fender by the headlight, on both my fenders, there is only primer with faint hint of base coat covered with clear coat. You can't see it, but they seem to stop where its visible to the eye. And I had a scratch on the headlight trim, body shop manager with 20 year experience said leave it alone, do not polish it you will burn through clear. True story, Autonation Ford.
So now he's got me freaking out about polishing my truck.

View attachment 120250
Can't see your pic but that's pretty sad if you ask me !

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

raptoragecar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Black screw here. I literally touched my other car in the garage and got a paint chip on the door. pretty disappointing. don't even get me started on the time the ceramic coating guy pulled the truck in the shop and turn on the detailing lights.....

OP
OP
L

loupuleff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Black screw here. I literally touched my other car in the garage and got a paint chip on the door. pretty disappointing. don't even get me started on the time the ceramic coating guy pulled the truck in the shop and turn on the detailing lights.....
Bummer ! I'm thinking about raptor liner on the whole truck the heck with this paint !!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
L

loupuleff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've changed my opinion on the paint it sucks I cant believe how bad it is come on ford is this the best you can do ?

Micha

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's a mass produced truck made on an assembly line with 18,000 dollar trucks. Some colors must be better than others though because I have a feb 2017 build with 1 rock chip on the hood and 43,000 miles. Onroad and offroad. I also have desert pinstripes but those are due to my shenanigans.

ddpt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Along the same topic; If you put a full vinyl wrap for a color change, would putting a ceramic coating or clay bar on top of the wrap add further protection?

First thing I did on my 2019 PB is:

1. Paint correction and decontamination & clay bar to remove as much of the particles and iron deposits on the paint before PPF
2. PPF Xpel applied
3. Ceramic coat applied on top of PPF

So to answer your question, yes, you can put a ceramic coat on top of the PPF. The ceramic coat makes maintenance a breeze as dirt tends NOT to stick and it makes it very easy to clean (basically a wax like performance/appearance that last 3-5 years depending on which product is used). I use a waterless wash for the most part unless it is real dirty than I will go with the traditional soap and water.

Last edited:

JustBillin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The EPA makes manufacturers use water based VOC compliant paint and it doesn't seem to be as chip resistant to me. That's why I covered my entire Raptor with paint protection film and am glad that I did.

OP
OP
L

loupuleff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess I'll just wait a few years and have the whole truck repainted I'm very tempted to go the whole truck in raptor lining then you dont have to worry about it anymore just drive when and where you want !

OP
OP
L

loupuleff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's a mass produced truck made on an assembly line with 18,000 dollar trucks. Some colors must be better than others though because I have a feb 2017 build with 1 rock chip on the hood and 43,000 miles. Onroad and offroad. I also have desert pinstripes but those are due to my shenanigans.
Lot of rocks here in Arizona 5k miles and two windshields and the third ready to be replaced just rocks everywhere on the roads !