GEN 2 Not the greatest paint

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

loupuleff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2018 S crew with 4k miles I'm pretty disappointed with the paint it definitely does not match the toughness of the truck. It has a lot of factory defects from contamination and has more chips in it than my 20 year old ranger when I sold it. It's ruby red and has a light gray primer which probably has to have but the chips really stand out until I fill them in. How does everyone else feel about their paint ? I also have mud flaps on it too.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

JD_27

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have black so it shows everything. I decided to get a ceramic coating so I don’t have to obsess over small scratches and protection film on the front hood, mirrors and door jams. Oh and I have front mudflaps too.

BIGDJE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2018 S crew with 4k miles I'm pretty disappointed with the paint it definitely does not match the toughness of the truck. It has a lot of factory defects from contamination and has more chips in it than my 20 year old ranger when I sold it. It's ruby red and has a light gray primer which probably has to have but the chips really stand out until I fill them in. How does everyone else feel about their paint ? I also have mud flaps on it too.

ceramic coating is a must and lots of cutting and buffing to get paint where it needs to be plus lots of clear bra to protect it when off roading

Jimmy Snooka

Reaction score
Along the same topic; If you put a full vinyl wrap for a color change, would putting a ceramic coating or clay bar on top of the wrap add further protection?

OP
OP
L

loupuleff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a partial clear bra on front but nothing on the sides yet cant decide on graphics package yet but it will definitely cover those areas especially right behind cab that sticks out I really thought the mud flaps would prevent those but guess I was wrong !

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Big Blue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can literally go to ANY car/truck forum and find at least one thread where someone is complaining about the factory paint. If you don't have a nice array of nature provided pinstriping, you bought the wrong truck.

Yoshi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ceramic coating is a must and lots of cutting and buffing to get paint where it needs to be plus lots of clear bra to protect it when off roading
Yep, paint is subpar for any vehicle. Best you can do is clear bra front before you drive it. It took me 8 ft of 60 in. suntek matte just to do grill, letters, front and rear bumpers. These trucks are huge and require a lot of ppf.

When I pulled off a piece of my suntek ppf from my headlight trim, it left small dots all throughout the clear coat. I've done 6 cars and never seen it do that to factory paint. I wonder if these truck might have 1 coat of clear in certain areas. My shadow black is so thin you can see the primer through the base and clear coat with a flash light. It was the same on my son's 15 shadow black mustang. I wonder if any forums members have a paint thickness gauge we could measure a few trucks?

Last edited:

murph145

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can literally go to ANY car/truck forum and find at least one thread where someone is complaining about the factory paint. If you don't have a nice array of nature provided pinstriping, you bought the wrong truck.

Agreed it is an offroad truck it is meant to get scratches and chips..... Geeze I look at my battle wounds with pride and a tear in my eye lol

BIGDJE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, paint is subpar for any vehicle. Best you can do is clear bra front before you drive it. It took me 8 ft of 60 in. suntek matte just to do grill, letters, front and rear bumpers. These trucks are huge and require a lot of ppf.

When I pulled off a piece of my suntek ppf from my headlight trim, it left small dots all throughout the clear coat. I've done 6 cars and never seen it do that to factory paint. I wonder if these truck might have 1 coat of clear in certain areas. My shadow black is so thin you can see the primer through the base and clear coat with a flash light. It was the same on my son's 15 shadow black mustang. I wonder if any forums members have a paint thickness gauge we could measure a few trucks?

would be really odd if ford does 1 clear on some parts and more on others

OP
OP
L

loupuleff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agreed it is an offroad truck it is meant to get scratches and chips..... Geeze I look at my battle wounds with pride and a tear in my eye lol
I agree it will get scratched up and I'm ok with that I'm just saying the paint on my 15k ford ranger was better than my 75k raptor so don't go getting all heated up about my experience between my two trucks . Personally I would like to do the whole truck in raptor lining and just forget there is even paint at all !