Not shifting out of park

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DMM_78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone had issues with their truck not shifting out of park? It's happened to me a couple of times this week. Turning the car off/on fixes it.

STiago1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a brake switch issue, check if the brake light comes on when you step on the brake to take it out of park

OP
OP
D

DMM_78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FYI,

It did it again today, brake lights work. I made an appointment for next week. The service advisor said there is a bulletin. It's a known issue with new F150s.

AKS1

Reaction score
Thats great news.. I found out when I don't have the key inside the truck it won't shift out of park whcih is a great security feature.

ganooch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is funny that we have this huge shifter for a function that is entirely electronic. I am not a fan of the Expedition shifter dial, or the Navigator shifter piano keys, but a large shifter still feels pretty antiquated with all of the other tech in the truck.

But, hey, it folds down and there is a table, so there is that.

14BlackRoush

Reaction score
I have the same problem in my Gen1, as to not start a new thread thought I’d ask some more questions on this thread.

I would have to pump the brake once or twice to get it to shift into gear, until that stopped working, I assumed it just needed a brake bleed so I did the job yesterday. Brakes felt good and firm, started truck and let it idle for a few minutes then jumped in, it shift it out first try... then i put it back into park and felt the brake pressure drop on the pedal for some reason, went to shift out of park again and no luck this time, so still stuck.

Is there a simple issue here I’m not aware of? Or could it be something like mention above where it’s electrical? I do have the “check locking differential” light currently on at start up, wondering if they are linked.

dirtlvr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is funny that we have this huge shifter for a function that is entirely electronic. I am not a fan of the Expedition shifter dial, or the Navigator shifter piano keys, but a large shifter still feels pretty antiquated with all of the other tech in the truck.

But, hey, it folds down and there is a table, so there is that.
Agree, the massive shifter really isn't needed any more. I've been in a RAM for the last 6 years. It took me a month or so to get used to the dash mounted shifter dial, but after that it just became second nature. It certainly frees up a ton of center console space.

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
I have the same problem in my Gen1, as to not start a new thread thought I’d ask some more questions on this thread.

I would have to pump the brake once or twice to get it to shift into gear, until that stopped working, I assumed it just needed a brake bleed so I did the job yesterday. Brakes felt good and firm, started truck and let it idle for a few minutes then jumped in, it shift it out first try... then i put it back into park and felt the brake pressure drop on the pedal for some reason, went to shift out of park again and no luck this time, so still stuck.

Is there a simple issue here I’m not aware of? Or could it be something like mention above where it’s electrical? I do have the “check locking differential” light currently on at start up, wondering if they are linked.

Take a look at your brake light switch. Sounds like the truck doesn't know you are pushing on the brakes.

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
Agree, the massive shifter really isn't needed any more. I've been in a RAM for the last 6 years. It took me a month or so to get used to the dash mounted shifter dial, but after that it just became second nature. It certainly frees up a ton of center console space.

I am not a fan of the dial shifter. Wife has one in her Range Rover, hate it. But I guess you wouldn't hit your Starbucks cup on the shifter while placing into the cup holder if it was a dial.