Not making full boost/rpm

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

c Wilson

Reaction score
Hi all,

Back again and have had a few issues hoping someone might have some input on. I have a 2017 and goosetuned and cvf titan intercooler. Recently noted really bad rattling at high boost pressure and rough idle. I had NGK plugs and replaced them with the ford brand and that seemed to solve the problem with the rattling. However, now I am not making full power and having issues with boost. When I first start up sometimes I’ll get full boost and high rpm’s but almost every time I get a large hiss sound not the same as the BOV and I lose the boat and RPM’s will not climb above 3000. I’ve checked all the hose connections, cleaned the MAF sensors, re-flashed the ecm and tcm flashes. Last oil change was about 1,000 miles ago and I did it myself. Even when I place it in manual and try to do the same thing I would as if I was logging it will give full power for a second or two, big hiss of air and then loss of boost and RPM’s will not increase past 3000 even with the pedal to the floor. Originally thought might be BOV but if that were the case wouldn’t the RPMs still increase without boost? Also, I don’t have a way to measure the gap of the ford spark plugs and I got them on Amazon, could incorrect gap cause this? Otherwise no issues with how the truck drives or shifts. Any help is always greatly appreciated and have a great weekend.

HOLLYWOOD 1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would check your "plumbing tubes" for your intake. Either a clamp is loose, or an o-ring is ripped or missing. Did you change out to an aftermarket intake? Even if not, check your clamps. The hiss at high rpm is air.

OP
OP
C

c Wilson

Reaction score
Would that still be the case if it is making full boost once the trucks hit gear 7? Once the boost drops it doesn’t pick up again till it hits 7 which I find weird. Also, even if it a boost leak, wouldn’t the trucks rpm’s continue to climb? Or is that dependent on boost pressure also. I will check the plumbing also. I have the specter performance air intake. I got it because I just wanted a CAI but probably should upgrade as it isn’t made well but haven’t really had any issue with it.

HOLLYWOOD 1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't really answer? I know I had the same problem, and we found a bad o-ring. Changed it out, all problems went away. Yours could be a different issue, but I would start there.

Dan H

Reaction score
Sounds like CAI restriction, not enough air being supplied. I had same problem and found the supply tube feeding the air filter box blocked.

Coastal

Reaction score
Similar thing happened to me after putting on a bigger IC - different hose clamps that could be tightened more prevented the issue