Help Support Ford Raptor Forum by donating:

Northern Owners - Rust Proofing/Treatment?

Discussion in 'Ford Raptor Exterior Forum [GEN 2]' started by isis, Oct 6, 2019.

1. BenBB

BenBB Full Access Member

Sure! On Gen1, the lower inboard edge of the rocker panels have slots intended to drain water/mud/salt/whatever. I opened them up prying with a flatblade screwdriver and flushed them out, will use the little straw that comes with MPHD to spray inside there best I can, and also into the few large holes above that, they also give you limited access inside there (factory used cheap duct tape on these, Gorilla tape is holding up well so far there so I'll go back with that).[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

2. MnFlyer

MnFlyer Full Access Member

Awesome. Thank you. I will try to find those on my doors!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. BenBB

BenBB Full Access Member

It's a bad picture but that's looking from underneath the truck towards the right rear tire (right rear corner of the cab), the running board is at the bottom of the frame and the black Gorilla tape is visible in the center left. The rocker panel runs below and inboard of the doors and tends to really rust out especially in northern climates, I have no idea on Gen2 if they did anything different but as others have mentioned aluminum can still corrode and a little protection goes a long way, especially when exposed to road salt or whatever. I think one reason the Gen1's had as many problems there as they did was because the sunroof drains are routed into the rocker panels...

4. amREADY

amREADY Full Access Member

You are bang on.

If the rubberized stuff goes one, needs to be no rust, squeaky dry and all bits and pieces masked off. And when in doubt, just don't. I too have been downstream of the spray and pray jobs and it sucks. And I've peeled it off to find wet puddles of rust too. On the gen 2, I don't mind hitting the aluminum underside behind the front wheels to reduce pinging, but it will be a very careful application. Less for rust protection and more for noise dampening. Any of the cosmoline based sprays are basically awesome and if not applied over something actively rusting do a great job. 2 coats min and let them cure up hard. Not a problem for wrenching after.

GR8Ride likes this.
  5. Todd Turbo S

Todd Turbo S Full Access Member

I'm resurrecting this older thread. My 2020 Raptor is coming in soon and I too have been researching under carraige coatings. On another thread, a member recommended this product. I've been reading and seems like a better solution than Amsoil, especially, because it dries clean whereas Amsoil dries with a slight yellow tint, and you can basically spray the entire engine bay.

My other option, is Ceramic Coating. Any feedback would be appreciated.

https://www.nyalic.com

6. amREADY

amREADY Full Access Member

The Nyalic looks good.

Now that I've had mine on for a while, and have gravel blasted the areas behind the wheels, I'm really happy with my choices, as above. The CRC Marine is cosmoline based and does dry with a slight yellowish tint. So as you say, something to consider. The rubberized Rustoleum undercoating is holding up really well. It isn't blocking any drainage, isn't bubbling or flaking. Even with 2 or 3 light coats, it isn't as thick as I remember spraying undercoating back in the day... when it was like 1/8" goo. It's more like a heavy paint.

As someone said in this thread, I think. The truck needs to be BONE dry before spraying. And if I was going to do it again, I would have hit mine before I drove it offroad. Just easier to clean and prep that way.