Northern Owners - Rust Proofing/Treatment?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BenBB

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is gonna sound like a stupid request.

Could you post a picture of where you’re using the MPHD on the rocker panel?

I’ve got a 2019 raptor and I’m not sure where I would do this??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sure! On Gen1, the lower inboard edge of the rocker panels have slots intended to drain water/mud/salt/whatever. I opened them up prying with a flatblade screwdriver and flushed them out, will use the little straw that comes with MPHD to spray inside there best I can, and also into the few large holes above that, they also give you limited access inside there (factory used cheap duct tape on these, Gorilla tape is holding up well so far there so I'll go back with that).72baad4b8733a82766a4dfea0a594818.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

MnFlyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sure! On Gen1, the lower inboard edge of the rocker panels have slots intended to drain water/mud/salt/whatever. I opened them up prying with a flatblade screwdriver and flushed them out, will use the little straw that comes with MPHD to spray inside there best I can, and also into the few large holes above that, they also give you limited access inside there (factory used cheap duct tape on these, Gorilla tape is holding up well so far there so I'll go back with that).72baad4b8733a82766a4dfea0a594818.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
Awesome. Thank you. I will try to find those on my doors!

BenBB

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Awesome. Thank you. I will try to find those on my doors!

It's a bad picture but that's looking from underneath the truck towards the right rear tire (right rear corner of the cab), the running board is at the bottom of the frame and the black Gorilla tape is visible in the center left. The rocker panel runs below and inboard of the doors and tends to really rust out especially in northern climates, I have no idea on Gen2 if they did anything different but as others have mentioned aluminum can still corrode and a little protection goes a long way, especially when exposed to road salt or whatever. I think one reason the Gen1's had as many problems there as they did was because the sunroof drains are routed into the rocker panels...

amREADY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The old time traditional undercoatings can easily trap any existing moisture between the product and the metal you are trying to protect. This can end up being worse than if you hadn't treated it. It needs to be done in very low humidity on perfectly clean dry metal. Most shops are not capable of doing this properly. Going back 40-50 years there were tons of shops doing the undercoatings with lifetime warranties offered. The majority of the companies went under because of the many vehicles that rusted all to hell after being coated.

Another downside of the traditional heavy undercoating is that you are screwed if you need to work on anything that was sprayed. Picture taking something apart that was dipped in tar. It sucks ass big time! That's the big advantage I see to these newer coatings, you can still repair things fairly easily that have been coated.

I wouldn't have that done on one of my vehicles.

You are bang on.

If the rubberized stuff goes one, needs to be no rust, squeaky dry and all bits and pieces masked off. And when in doubt, just don't. I too have been downstream of the spray and pray jobs and it sucks. And I've peeled it off to find wet puddles of rust too. On the gen 2, I don't mind hitting the aluminum underside behind the front wheels to reduce pinging, but it will be a very careful application. Less for rust protection and more for noise dampening. Any of the cosmoline based sprays are basically awesome and if not applied over something actively rusting do a great job. 2 coats min and let them cure up hard. Not a problem for wrenching after.

Todd Turbo S

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm resurrecting this older thread. My 2020 Raptor is coming in soon and I too have been researching under carraige coatings. On another thread, a member recommended this product. I've been reading and seems like a better solution than Amsoil, especially, because it dries clean whereas Amsoil dries with a slight yellow tint, and you can basically spray the entire engine bay.

My other option, is Ceramic Coating. Any feedback would be appreciated.

https://www.nyalic.com

amREADY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Nyalic looks good.

Now that I've had mine on for a while, and have gravel blasted the areas behind the wheels, I'm really happy with my choices, as above. The CRC Marine is cosmoline based and does dry with a slight yellowish tint. So as you say, something to consider. The rubberized Rustoleum undercoating is holding up really well. It isn't blocking any drainage, isn't bubbling or flaking. Even with 2 or 3 light coats, it isn't as thick as I remember spraying undercoating back in the day... when it was like 1/8" goo. It's more like a heavy paint.

As someone said in this thread, I think. The truck needs to be BONE dry before spraying. And if I was going to do it again, I would have hit mine before I drove it offroad. Just easier to clean and prep that way.