Northern Owners - Rust Proofing/Treatment?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

amREADY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
am following too. Was thinking a careful application of undercoat basically in the area between the frame and running boards from firewall to rear bumper. Nothing overboard, but just reduce some of the gravel blasting (and noise). Hit the rear wheel wells too, same reason. Not covering any drain holes and not blasting it all over everything. Been downstream of that wrenching on stuff and it sucks.

Then will look into some of the rust proofing oils etc in this thread for other frame parts, in and out. Thanks all.

But am also looking for ideas too. But salt and 4 wheeling is coming and for now, the truck is pretty new. A couple little tiny surface rust areas I need to clean up before coating anything, but for the most part, good to go.

BenBB

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
+1 on the Amsoil MPHD, that shit is awesome. Reminds me I need to get another can or two and hose inside the rockers soon...

JamesM

Reaction score
Hadnt heard of that Amsoil MPHD before. Sounds like good stuff. Ordered a half dozen cans to use on the truck. Also looks like it might work well for boat lift cranks/pulleys and the hitch mechanisms on my trailers.

Other than inside the rockers where it's somewhat out of the elements, does it pay to spray it on the backside of the fenders or will it come off in a few weeks/month of driving? Where else do you guys use it?

Last edited:

abearsfan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
when I was younger I remember my uncle squirting oil into his door panels, when I asked why,he said that the oil inside the door panels help to prevent rust...sure it oozed out a little on the bottom drain holes but I never saw any rust on his cars.

amREADY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
when I was younger I remember my uncle squirting oil into his door panels, when I asked why,he said that the oil inside the door panels help to prevent rust...sure it oozed out a little on the bottom drain holes but I never saw any rust on his cars.

My Dad did the same. Also used light motor oil and sprayed the underside of the vehicles at the beginning of winter. A little messy, but worked great.

Saw this to look up info on some of the recommendations in this threat. Some good info.

GR8Ride

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys and gals- I’m ready to undercoat my 2019 and planning to use a combination of CRC Marine, Amsoil HDMP and Yamalube.
I just wanted to hear what you think about doing Ziebart undercoating and rustproofing instead.
I have a quoted price that is well below retail.
Very much appreciate thoughts as I’ll be going through my 1st winter here in upstate NY we live in a salt brine for about 6 months of the year.
Thanks!!

HAPPILY EVER RAPTOR

MnFlyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
+1 on the Amsoil MPHD, that shit is awesome. Reminds me I need to get another can or two and hose inside the rockers soon...
This is gonna sound like a stupid request.

Could you post a picture of where you’re using the MPHD on the rocker panel?

I’ve got a 2019 raptor and I’m not sure where I would do this??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

amREADY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm going to do a careful application of rustoleum rubberized from front wheels back, from frame to and including underside of running boards to reduce gravel blasting. And pop can tinging.

CRC marine anticorrsion on everything.

Waiting for a break in weather and driving so it can cure between coats.

Will take pics.

Will hit areas with rust starting with sand paper or wire brush and coat with rust paint first. It's a new 19, but already getting a few spots.

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hey guys and gals- I’m ready to undercoat my 2019 and planning to use a combination of CRC Marine, Amsoil HDMP and Yamalube.
I just wanted to hear what you think about doing Ziebart undercoating and rustproofing instead.
I have a quoted price that is well below retail.
Very much appreciate thoughts as I’ll be going through my 1st winter here in upstate NY we live in a salt brine for about 6 months of the year.
Thanks!!

HAPPILY EVER RAPTOR

The old time traditional undercoatings can easily trap any existing moisture between the product and the metal you are trying to protect. This can end up being worse than if you hadn't treated it. It needs to be done in very low humidity on perfectly clean dry metal. Most shops are not capable of doing this properly. Going back 40-50 years there were tons of shops doing the undercoatings with lifetime warranties offered. The majority of the companies went under because of the many vehicles that rusted all to hell after being coated.

Another downside of the traditional heavy undercoating is that you are screwed if you need to work on anything that was sprayed. Picture taking something apart that was dipped in tar. It sucks ass big time! That's the big advantage I see to these newer coatings, you can still repair things fairly easily that have been coated.

I wouldn't have that done on one of my vehicles.

Last edited: