Northern Owners - Rust Proofing/Treatment?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

isis

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry to bore you Texas, Arizona and Florida guys but I’m in PA. Bought my truck from Upstate NY and am thinking about undercarriage corrosion since it’s fall. I’m thinking about rally armor mudflaps for the body, and rear fenderliners with a coat of wd40 behind them at minimum. I’m gonna call a local truck shop and see what coatings or other services they do.

What do you do?

BroncoAZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I could see protecting the frame, but shouldn’t the aluminum body panels fair well in the road salt? I think mud flaps are a good idea regardless to keep debris off the body wherever possible. Hell, my sedan and SUV have mud flaps front and rear.

Believe it or not, Northern AZ where I live uses a salt solution on the highways that rots cars worse than salt.

OP
OP
isis

isis

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah I’m talking about underbody coatings and treatments if anybody has experience.

I know northern AZ gets weather. Was more of a joke.

MnFlyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Amsoil HDMP separated on pretty much everything under the truck. Rear door/axle. Frame. Mount points.

I painted my spindle, half shaft and tie rods with POR14 rust preventative gloss black.

This will be my first winter I’ll know more come next spring on how it all holds up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Johnkn

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I would absolutely not use wd40 for that application. Research Boshield T-9, that is the type of product you would want. Good luck...

BroncoAZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I’m talking about underbody coatings and treatments if anybody has experience.

I know northern AZ gets weather. Was more of a joke.

We didn’t have rust issues when they used volcanic cinders on the roads. The state switched to salt solution probably 5-6 years back. The roads are safer, but it eats cars.

No rust is legit south of me, I have rock rash on my Bronco body panels that’s been untreated for over a decade without any rust starting. I never drive it here on salt solution treated roads.

BBQPorkins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I spray Amsoil HDMP and Eastwoods Internal Frame coating. The frame coating comes with a 3ft plastic wand with a 360 degree tip. I used that to spray the insides of the rockers and cab corners. To do the cab corners I took a bolt out from the rear latch catch. Dont forget to spray the insides of the doors around the handles. I also replaced all the tape on the inside of the rockers with 3M scotchrap Vinyl corrosion tape. The frame coating dripped on my concrete floor and it really adhered so I'm confident its doing its job on the rockers and corners...Sidenote dont get it on your skin shit burns.

Nesc204

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To who ever said on here that Al fair's well to corrosion Well it doesn't. I work on Corporate Jets. Al Corrodes, It turns into a white powder just like Steel turns to rust.