GEN 2 Northeast USA forest trails... is the Raptor size a factor?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Engineer90

Reaction score
Hello all new to this forum... hoping to become a regular.

My wife gave me the green light to buy a Tacoma TRD OR. However, now I’m debating whether to get a Taco or a Raptor. Yes I know price difference and yes we can afford it.

However, I plan to do off-roading here in the northeast which include states like PA and NY. I know some trails in this area can be tight. Is this an issue with the Raptor? Anyone have experience in the area?

jamanrr

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Apples to oranges, yes a raptor can go anywhere a tacoma can but a tundra is more comparable truck to the raptor however even it is somewhat smaller.

OP
OP
E

Engineer90

Reaction score
Apples to oranges, yes a raptor can go anywhere a tacoma can but a tundra is more comparable truck to the raptor however even it is somewhat smaller.
I know, I’m not comparing them.

Just want to know if the Raptor would do ok in the northeast forests.

jamanrr

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I know, I’m not comparing them.

Just want to know if the Raptor would do ok in the northeast forests.

The Raptor is the best off road truck arguably ever made. If it can handle baja, farms, oil fields, then I am sure it can handle northeast trails. Of course i am not familiar with northeast trails or the northeast at all for that matter but I would imagine it can't be any worst than what most Raptor owners in the west and southwest put their trucks through.

MacK88DO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only issue you may encounter is the Raptor being too wide. It’s a butt puckering moment the first time you go down a trail too tight and get some pinstripes on your 70k truck. But if you research the trails before you head out you can generally avoid those situations. The Raptor is a different animal then the Taco. If you like going fast, the Raptor is the one you want. If you see yourself rock crawling a lot, the Taco might be the better choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Russ103

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ditto for the being too wide in some cases part.

The Tacoma is arguably the best truck in its class, and has been since the 80’s.

So is the Raptor.

As already mentioned though, apples to oranges comparison.

Yes, the Tacoma will fit through more forested NE trails, that’s a statistical fact. But the Raptor is better in every other category imaginable, and it’s price reflects that.

There is no question which truck is a nicer place to spend time in year round btw.

OP
OP
E

Engineer90

Reaction score
Ditto for the being too wide in some cases part.

Yes, the Tacoma will fit through more forested NE trails, that’s a statistical fact. But the Raptor is better in every other category imaginable, and it’s price reflects that.

There is no question which truck is a nicer place to spend time in year round btw.

This is why I'm having such a hard time deciding. I honestly like both trucks equally. But, the Raptor is the most luxurious and possibly the most comfortable in every way. We spend a lot of time outdoors which includes tons of driving for outdoor activities.

MacK88DO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you need a Raptor in your life! It’s my favorite vehicle I’ve ever owned. Makes an incredible daily driver, great road trip vehicle, and is unrivaled off-road.

Calabro

Reaction score
I to am in the northeast . I would love to know where I can take my baby off-road and even overnight camping trails. Please if anyone can give some Recommendations It would much appreciated thx in advance .