Norra Mexican 1000 2013

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fyermanbob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the update, I kept seeing them on the trailer but never had time to find out what happened, glade to hear they finally made it! We ended up 6th in class and 25th overall in vintage with our '68 F-100 and my Raptor was the best chase vehicle we've ever used!

KX250R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Team G&P Racing report - our adventure!

We made it out of the Outlaw shop late Friday and arrived in Mexicali in the wee hours of the morning, found our hotel and was pleased to find a large parking lot with other trailers and race rigs in it, and some security. We could sleep the few hours we had before tech without worry.
Tech was just a few blocks away from our hotel and after unloading the truck Wiz and I drove over and got in line. Very cool atmosphere, and they had a ramp that all the rigs drove up on for photos. Check out this video on the opening day activity.

NORRA TECH AND DAY ONE

blinkx Video - A simple way to discover and share great videos

norratechday163_zps0b2082ce.jpg

norratechday189_zpsbe60a451.jpg

norratechday165_zpsb1735741.jpg

norratechday223_zpsd6486b1f.jpg

---------- Post added at 10:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:50 PM ----------

Day one started with a 6:00AM lineup of trucks at the Mexicali Bull Ring. We started rolling out to the first stage at 7:00AM.
We were very happy with how we ran the first section. Despite the truck wanting to overheat running flatout across the lakebed at the beginning of the 73.5 mile special stage 1, the suspension was working great and we felt we were making good time and having a blast trying to follow the course and keep our speed up. We were somewhat GOPRO challenged most of this adventure as far as catching great footage but Wiz pulled out a hand held during this first section and got some good shots. The top three times in the ETHD class on this 73.5 mile section were;
#19 Jerry Herbst 50:57 avg. speed 86.6 MPH
#95 Grant Reuter 59:14 avg. speed 74.5 MPH
#99 Nick Baldwin 1:07:49 avg speed 65.0 MPH

Some in truck action

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ga98Liw25PQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAUJpvHaiL4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdtPKz1fxE0
We had a blast!!!

Last edited:

MTUH3

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks for the update Grant. Nice you see you in one piece. Never doubted you would have a blast!

KX250R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What kinda really caught us off guard was as we approached the end of this run ... we were getting really low on fuel. Now we had started the day with a full tank, drove at normal speeds on city streets out to the starting area only 23.22 miles, and then raced 73.5 miles. As we finished the stage we were on EMPTY! We kinda figured that we had some how messed up the sender unit or something. Just a few miles after we got on the highway to get to Stage 2 we ran out of gas. Our chase truck was right behind us and splashed us some gas so we could get to a better pull out spot a quarter of a mile down the road. We started filling up with gas but quickly noticed we were leaking a lot of fuel on the ground. We figured we had some kind of leak and the Wiz begin the process of dropping the tank and doing a complete inspection....nothing, nada....so we bolted it all back up and went on our way. What was happening is that some of the fuel jugs had short plastic tubes that was letting fuel get into the overflow vent as we poured it in. We were so shocked that we burned so much fuel that we fell right into thinking that we had some kind of leak. Soft sand, foot to the floor, 97 degrees out....equals the worse MPG I had ever seen in the truck....this would cause us issues the rest of the race.

MTUH3

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Were you running the stock tank? And you have an Scab correct? I think it would have gotten me too, but I do remember looking at some of the trucks from the FB pictures and they looked to have MASSIVE custom made tanks

KX250R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We made the transition down to Stage 2, but we missed our window and picked up a fat time penalty because of our little fuel tank once over. Section two went fine, Truck was running great, sucking fuel but running great. This was a much rougher section than the first. Here is how the top three came out in the ETHD class on this 44.3 mile section.

#19 Jerry Herbst 35:52 Avg. speed 72.4 MPH
#138 Randy Wilson 41:30 Avg. speed 62.6 MPH
#95 Grant Reuter 49.05 Avg. speed 52.9 MPH

We got out of this stage and begin the hunt for a Pemex station. Our support crew directed us into San Felipe, but this was a minute two late as we had just gone thru a military check point and had to double back and go thru it again, but there was a line...wait wait....we were racing fine and getting killed on the transits. got fuel and got back on track down to the next stage.

---------- Post added at 11:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:36 PM ----------

Were you running the stock tank? And you have an Scab correct? I think it would have gotten me too, but I do remember looking at some of the trucks from the FB pictures and they looked to have MASSIVE custom made tanks

We were running a stock tank, which is legal, we just added a skid plate. You can bet next time we are going to have a BIG ASS TANK...Lol.

Actually had looked into a fuel cell and the costs for that and the fab work needed kinda put that on the back burner. Most of the sections are short and we thought we would be OK....we thought wrong.

MTUH3

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Next time see if some of our Air Force guys can get one of those fueling jets to fly in a fill you up on the move