NOOB on sand driving - question about clunking / burning smell

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TruckerJeff

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Before my question - thanks for such a great forum. I'm a new 2019 Raptor owner and have found this forum invaluable. Next weekend I'll be using Forscan to make tweaks and am very excited for that.

Now, my question. I've taken my Raptor on the beach a couple of times in the "mud/sand" mode. I've found that when I am leaving the beach, and have to drive uphill over a bit of a sand dune, the truck struggles, I hear clunking - and start to smell something burning. I'm trying to figure out what the right way to deal with the situation is - if I give it more throttle it clunks/burns more but eventually powers up and over the dune. I've experimented backing up and trying to get a better run up it as well.

What do you all suggest I do the next time I'm on the beach? And any thoughts on what I'm hearing/smelling?

Many thanks!

Peterb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had some burning smell last time at Pismo during wheelspin, I think if the transmission up shifts too soon from wheel slippage then it lugs (revs are too low) I thought about members saying use manual mode in sand to control the gear selection and ya it makes sense to keep the revs up so the transmission is not fooled by the sand

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
Traction control kicking in for the clunking sound? It happens.

Burning smell..truck works harder in sand. When I get home in 100 degree weather following spirited driving, I can smell burned rubber, hot metal, god knows what else.

Raptor Killer

Reaction score
I did some dune riding few weeks ago and I stopped because of the smell...............it was like burning tires/burned clutch kind of smell...............truck was working good but the smell suggested me that something was not right.

After that its all good.

Ecoop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Before my question - thanks for such a great forum. I'm a new 2019 Raptor owner and have found this forum invaluable. Next weekend I'll be using Forscan to make tweaks and am very excited for that.

Now, my question. I've taken my Raptor on the beach a couple of times in the "mud/sand" mode. I've found that when I am leaving the beach, and have to drive uphill over a bit of a sand dune, the truck struggles, I hear clunking - and start to smell something burning. I'm trying to figure out what the right way to deal with the situation is - if I give it more throttle it clunks/burns more but eventually powers up and over the dune. I've experimented backing up and trying to get a better run up it as well.

What do you all suggest I do the next time I'm on the beach? And any thoughts on what I'm hearing/smelling?

Many thanks!

How loud how "clunks"? Coming from front? One side or another?

rtmozingo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I did some dune riding few weeks ago and I stopped because of the smell...............it was like burning tires/burned clutch kind of smell...............truck was working good but the smell suggested me that something was not right.

After that its all good.

Every Gen 2 after a run on the track smells that way, I wouldn't worry about it.

I can't say you should hear a clunking sound when the T/C engages tho. Might hit the TC button (after switching modes) and see if that changes anything.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Try taking traction control off. I had mine go haywire in an ice/snow covered field couldn’t get moving the banging was the TC engaging way too often & early.

Traction control should automatically disable once 4hi is engaged IMO