GEN 1 Noisy Fox 3.0 Rears, beating the dead horse.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MrGrizzly

Reaction score
I’ve got the 2019+ Factory 3.0 Live Valve’s (aftermarket with bypass). I was expecting the clunk and noise but haven’t had any issues as of yet. I’ve got like 10k miles on them so I’m not sure if it’s a luck of the draw thing or what—but that’s been my experience so far.

MrGable27

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m honestly kind of surprised that your Fox’s are that loud. I have King 3.0s which I’ve heard are the noisiest, and they’re dead quiet unless I start sending the truck through drainage ditches or a whoop section.

OP
OP
Jonny Noll

Jonny Noll

Reaction score
Yeah, it's kind of weird. I don't really hear "Clicks". I hear "Clunks" It sounds exactly like what loose shock bolts would sound like. Or if any of you are into old Jeeps with bar pin shock mounts... when the upper shock would rattle against the body. But I've quadruple checked and everything is tight.

I can stand on the rear bumper and bounce up and down and hear both sides. As if there was a slight pocket of space in the shock before it hits hydraulics. Maybe that is the bypass valves as everyone explains. I guess I need a better understanding of what these valves are actually doing to make noise when the truck is at rest and ride height.

ScottyMacSD

Reaction score
I am pretty sure its the bearings in either end are the problem on mine and are driving me crazy because they have worn out in less than a year and sound like I have a cracked motor mount. I had them off yesterday and the bearings are super sloppy now. The two round rubber pieces on each side at the top where the hat attaches to the shock that, im guessing are there to help damper noise by keeping the hat from rattling , 3 of the 4 are split so probably are not being effective. That whole part of the design on these shocks, seems like they just slapped that part of them together as a quick fix just to get home from Baja, then forgot about them.
I could see them going with this design on a cheap set coming from china, but its highly unprofessional to be on a coil over at these price points. There has to be a better design with better bearings and some kind of nylon washer vs using what look like someone made them by punching out rounds from an innertube. I think if someone can figure out a better combination these attachment locations, then maybe we can finally get the ride we had expected to get when we paid that kind of money for them. Its ******** excuses that we have been told to live with, when in reality they were poorly designed and just don't want to fix the problem. What, Since they are Fox we are supposed to just accept this crap? I was told that the bearings are high performance parts and that they will wear out. I live 5 miles down a county maintained graded dirt road that gets pretty wash boarded, but no whoops or jumps, nothing like when we race in baja which these are supposed to be made for. So how am I to believe hey can handle baja when they cant even last a year from driving on a graded dirt road? On op of that they want to charge me for the replacement of the failed bearings, reducers and o'rings needed. Which will cost $142 per shock. So am I to believe they expect me to have to put out $568 every year to repair this flaw in their design after what the charge for them in the first place? Nah, Im not playing this ******** game. I don't live in San Diego anymore and have no desire to visit but in this case Im thinking about paying a visit to discuss this with someone at fox that might care about the reputation of the company, Ill even draw up the design for the fix and give it to them for free. Because so far no one is really doing anything about it, for any of us as far as I can see. I've also been waiting to receive the rears I purchased back in December and no one can give me a date when they will be shipped to me. At this point Im about to cancel the order since they don't seem to need my money anyway. I will also be discussing the return of the fronts since they have never performed either. So If anyone tells you the clunking you are getting is normal, call ******** on them, and demand they fix the issue.

itsrichierich

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If there is a true fix, I’m sure people like SVC and RPG would have released a kit to the public.

Jakenbake

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yeah, it's kind of weird. I don't really hear "Clicks". I hear "Clunks" It sounds exactly like what loose shock bolts would sound like. Or if any of you are into old Jeeps with bar pin shock mounts... when the upper shock would rattle against the body. But I've quadruple checked and everything is tight.

I can stand on the rear bumper and bounce up and down and hear both sides. As if there was a slight pocket of space in the shock before it hits hydraulics. Maybe that is the bypass valves as everyone explains. I guess I need a better understanding of what these valves are actually doing to make noise when the truck is at rest and ride height.
did you check the NVH thing on the rear drivers side of the frame? It is between the frame and bed. When the bushings where it can bang around and hit things a little.

As far as bypass clicks I can bounce my bed and hear them. Have someone else do that for you and put your ear close to the shock and see if that is what you are hearing.

Canuck714

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ive had both Fox 3.0 with DSC and King 3.0 with 3.0 CO/3.0 Bypass upfront.
I was told the Kings will be louder than when I had FOX but on my truck that is not the case. My kings do make clickity bypass noises, and I would expect that from external bypasses front and rear.
The Fox made clunky rattley noises like they were falling apart. It was not the clickity noise that most people talk about but more like something hitting or clanking. They never did anything wrong and they worked well in that particular setup.
From a feel/performance perspective I cant really compare the two as there are so many things different with the King setup.

itsrichierich

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Reading the reviews with Fox 3.0 making noise is turning me away. Especially since I will not be able to tell the difference between The King 3.0s, Fox 3.0s and Icons 3.0s.

ScottyMacSD

Reaction score
Update: I decided to just put out the money, which isn't much compared to the price of the shocks themselves, to replace the upper and lower bearings and the sleeves on both shocks to see if new ones would help. The out come was positive.
However, I think I figured out what the clunking noise many of us get from the day we install the shocks.
These shocks are supposed to have highly precision components with tight tolerances, so I wouldn't think to even need to look at these components, yet what I found in my case is that the sleeves that go in the bearings which the bolts go through, were the problem on the fronts fox 3.0 col overs I received, and installed on my raptor.
I realized there was a problem when the new upper set of sleeves I received, have an inner diameter that is too small for the bolt to fit through. So I ended up having to use the old set for the uppers. When comparing the new set to he old, I noticed that the new set also did not fit into the new bearings as snugly the old set does. The tolerances are off slightly. If I had used the new sleeves, that amount of play would have amplified once mounted and probably would have been heard through the whole truck. The original sleeves for the lower mounting points are what I believe is the problem on mine. I believe this is where the noise was coming from since the day I installed them. The sleeves did not sit in the bearings as snug as I would have thought they should, which could cause the noise. But also the inner diameter of the sleeves were slightly larger than the bolt allowing for some slop. This is what I believe was causing the clunking noise, that started after I installed them. No matter how tight I torqued the bolt down, having the tolerances off that small amount is what I think was causing the noise I was getting.
However as time went on, I got new clunks making it worse and made me think I had a bad motor mount. I held off replacing them until i replaced the bearings, because I had all ready replaced the steering rack and it didn't fix either of the things I replaced it for. One being the clunk and the other ended up being caused by something else. So I did not want to just start throwing parts at it.
I found that both lower bearings were still nice and tight, but the top bearings were very sloppy and worn. I believe that slop was the cause of the noise that sounded like i had a bad motor mount. This noise came later after hitting a narrow 1 foot wide cross cut washout in the road after heavy rains . Im guessing it was hard on the bearings since that was the start of the new clunk noise.
After replacing all 4 bearings and only the lower sleeves, which ended up having tighter inner diameter tolerances, so the bolt has to be tapped through the sleeves now, there is no slop. I also bought some neoprene washers from home depot which i modified to replace the current rubber washers that most of the originals had split, I now, no longer have either of the clunks.
It rides much quieter now. Quieter than it has since I installed the 3.0's over a year ago.
So for anyone who has had a similar experience with your Fox 3.0 coil overs, I would check the tolerances of the sleeves on both the upper and lower bearings as well as the bearings them selves, and replace them if there 's any play at all.
Also check the new parts that they are correct as well or you wont fix the problem.
I let Fox know what I found in my case, so they now know about it. So hopefully they do he right thing.
I hope this info helps you get rid of your fox 3.0 clunks as well. I understand how frustrating this can be. I am super happy now that mine are finally quiet.
Good luck
Scott

Last edited: