No throttle response today

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TwizzleStix

Pudendum Inspector aka FORZDA 1
Reaction score
One thing first, "the pedal commander does not access the PCM".
It only amplifies voltage going to the Throttle Body.
The TB voltage range is 0 being closed to 5 volts wide open.
So lets say you set the pedal commander to it's highest setting,
when you depress the go pedal a quarter down it will send 3 to 4 volts to the TB instead of variable 1 to 1 1/2 to 2 volts.

I have a question, are you guys running a Tune to go with the pedal Commander?
A proper Tune will eliminate/turn off the 3,500 rpms safety feature before opening full throttle.

Incase you didn't know, Ford has a safety built in the OEM Tune to not allow full throttle till 3,500 rpms.
So if you turn up the pedal commander to high (like stated earlier)
The Pedal Commander will throw the TB plate too wide open before 3,500 rpms.
The PCM is going to think something is wrong.

You've made several statements here that I believe are incorrect. The PC definitely connects directly to the ECU(PCM) from the Throttle position Sensor (TPS) and the ECU sends the Electronic Throttle Control (ETC) commands to the TB itself. It MUST work this way because the ECU can and does regulate the ETC.

For me to be SURE, what year(s) are you talking about?

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It sounds like you might be describing the molded leadframe recall issue. What else happened, speedo stop working? Did the odometer go all dashes?

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You've made several statements here that I believe are incorrect. The PC definitely connects directly to the ECU(PCM) from the Throttle position Sensor (TPS) and the ECU sends the Electronic Throttle Control (ETC) commands to the TB itself. It MUST work this way because the ECU can and does regulate the ETC.

For me to be SURE, what year(s) are you talking about?
Connecting and accessing the software in the PCM are two different animals.
All the Pedal Commander does is increase the sensitivity of the gas pedal.

But thank you for catching that!
So I will rephrase the one sentence.

"it will enhance the signal to the PCM to use 3 to 4 volts to the TB instead of variable 1 to 1 1/2 to 2 volts".

David Godbee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Rap is an 18 and I went out today and re-installed it to see if it would still put me in limp mode and have all types of errors. Low and behold I didn’t get 3 miles and bam, back to limp and wrench and all kinds of issues. Pulled over and took that sucker off. No more problems on a 45 mile trip. I definitely have a bad one. Itwasset at sport 3. Not aggressive at all and Inever gave it more than half throttle. No more add on crap for me.

OP
OP
D

daveypetey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses everyone. It was a one time event and hasn't happened since. Never had any problems with the speedo or the odo. If it happens again I'll for sure pull the PC. I really only run it in city +1 with the roush SC or I'd be buying new tires twice a year.

FerdFteen

Reaction score
Glad I found this thread. I have a 19 raptor and have had a PC on for the last 8 months with zero issues. I run the PC mainly because I have a health issue with my driving leg, and I leave the PC in Sport level 4 to help with throttle response since I can't push down on the pedal very hard.

The last three days it's gone into limp mode now, and the faults either reset themselves after the truck being off or my local dealer clears them.

Today they did a more detailed set of diagnostics and test drives with/without PC and can get it to fault consistently with the PC on. So it's no more PC for me either.

I'm going to be switching to a stage 2 Goose tune with the Cobb AP soon and wondering if anyone that runs the Cobb throttle adjustment has had a similar issue as with the PC? @COBB Tuning @wgr73 would be great if you could chime in on the AP question.

COBB Tuning

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Glad I found this thread. I have a 19 raptor and have had a PC on for the last 8 months with zero issues. I run the PC mainly because I have a health issue with my driving leg, and I leave the PC in Sport level 4 to help with throttle response since I can't push down on the pedal very hard.

The last three days it's gone into limp mode now, and the faults either reset themselves after the truck being off or my local dealer clears them.

Today they did a more detailed set of diagnostics and test drives with/without PC and can get it to fault consistently with the PC on. So it's no more PC for me either.

I'm going to be switching to a stage 2 Goose tune with the Cobb AP soon and wondering if anyone that runs the Cobb throttle adjustment has had a similar issue as with the PC? @COBB Tuning @wgr73 would be great if you could chime in on the AP question.

We have customers running OTS with a wide variety of throttle settings without issue, and getting a custom tune opens up the door to do just about anything for throttle mapping. Issue-free, DTC-free, limp mode-free driving!

Here is a link to an article covering our Dynamic Pedal Control system, complete with a neat info-graphic that shows the extent to which you can alter throttle sensitivity from the Accessport. All DPC changes can be made on the fly with the truck running, no need to reflash after you do your initial install.

https://cobbtuning.atlassian.net/wi...eatures+Dynamic+Pedal+Control+for+Ford+Raptor

GooseTuned

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

I totally agree with COBB on this one. I have personally never seen an issue with the COBB Accessport with Off the shelf mapping and Dynamic Pedal Control. Never any complaints. Most love the pedal adjustments and the extra power!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TwistAir