No sound from VTA mod/blow off valve??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

socal raptor

Reaction score
Installed a new intercooler (titan v2) and along with it the turbo smart BOV. Mostly for the sound. Installed the block off plate as well. So I took the truck out expecting a nice woosh noise when letting off the throttle and nothing. I thought I had a defective turbo smart BOV so I pulled the intercooler and put the stock one back on keeping it VTA.

Once again no sound when letting off throttle? I did the same mod on my gen 2 and had no issues. Very confused what could be going on.

For those that don’t know what I’m talking about. Skip to 3min for sound

Reaction score
I installed the Garrett IC and Turbo Smart BOV last night without any issues. The BOV is venting to atmosphere with no problems. I’m fairly new to the forum and have no clue how to post short a clip of how it sounds but I think it sounds good. Did you verify that all the wire adapters for the BOV are plugged in and secure?

OP
OP
socal raptor

socal raptor

Reaction score
I installed the Garrett IC and Turbo Smart BOV last night without any issues. The BOV is venting to atmosphere with no problems. I’m fairly new to the forum and have no clue how to post short a clip of how it sounds but I think it sounds good. Did you verify that all the wire adapters for the BOV are plugged in and secure?
I checked all that. I even swapped back to the original BOV like I said. Disconnected and connected the plug. The turbo smart BOV plug fits both ways and the I’m not sure which is the positive side on the cable.

As for posting a video click the button at the bottom of where you’re typing that says “attach files”. Or you can post on YouTube and send the link here

Reaction score
Lmao idk how I missed the “attach files” button. Don’t mind the video pointing at the window switches. I was just trying to get a good sound clip of the BOV since my exhaust valve is acting up again.

Attachments

• IMG_2258.MOV
    8.7 MB

xrocket21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Check your boost reference, also the valve can be lubed if it is a little sticky

Bluu

Reaction score
My turbosmart is pretty quiet, with the windows up you are barely hear it at all (with radio on you can't hear it). Are you able to mount a gopro in the area to see if you can 1) hear the VTA, or 2) physically see the BOV cycling?

If the BOV was not plugged in it will quickly throw a check engine light, so as long as the light did not come on for you then you have it connected correctly.

Reaction score
My turbosmart is pretty quiet, with the windows up you are barely hear it at all (with radio on you can't hear it). Are you able to mount a gopro in the area to see if you can 1) hear the VTA, or 2) physically see the BOV cycling?

If the BOV was not plugged in it will quickly throw a check engine light, so as long as the light did not come on for you then you have it connected correctly.
Its the same for me. With the windows up you cant really hear it.
You guys are doing it the hard way. Just install this and be done.
That is pretty funny. I remember a while there was something you could add to the intake of any N/A vehicle to make it make a fake blowoff noise.

Keith88

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Very interesting. I did the VTA mod to my 21 Tremor when I did my S&B intake.... the woosh was loud af. Couldn't imagine having a turbo smart blow off valve.

After much reading and debating on forums... I guess it doesn't really hurt anything but I did notice the boost would come on later.