No Raptor Yet

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FerdFteen

Reaction score
Hey all,

I've been lurking for a few weeks now and decided to create an account. I'm coming most recently from a pretty heavily modded 2018 F150 Platinum and a 2015 BMW M3.

I was going to try to pick up a performance blue 2018 raptor, but have been following all the recent threads on real world feedback from the 2019s and their ride quality compared to the 2017/2018 models.

Either way with a 2018 or 2019 I'm hoping to get better ride quality than my F150. I had a 4" BDS lift with 2.0 Fox coilovers in the front and 2.5 shocks in the rear on 35x11.5 R20 Nitto ridge grapplers. It rode a bit stiff as you might expect, but overall was a great truck to own. Even with a tune, Full Race catback and S&B cold air intake, the 3.5 ecoboost left a lot to be desired turning those larger tires from a stop.

Definitely looking forward to seeing what the 4.1 vs 3.55 axle ratio and the upgraded EB engine do in terms of performance. It seems like from what I've read that most here prefer MPT when running a tune. Was wondering if people still use 93 octane even if they don't run a tune? Here in central Texas 93 octane is relatively cheap and it's what I use in the M3, though I ran an 89 tune in the F150. I'd likely be looking for a 91 or 93 tune if I pull the trigger on a raptor.

Anyways wanted to say hi and thanks to the regular posters for all the great information I've been finding in the forums. I attached a couple of photos of the old truck for memories sake.

truck1.jpg

truck3.jpg

IMG_1077.jpg

TxRap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice F-150 and welcome! I like your blacked out platinum attache. You might not see substantial difference in acceleration between your F-150 and the Raptor. It's difficult turning the large BFGs too. There's a Youtube video of the STOCK F-150 beating the Raptor drag racing.

That said, I love the Raptor's looks and off-road tech, and it holds resale value better too.

OP
OP
F

FerdFteen

Reaction score
Thanks TxRap. Are you running your truck stock or with a tune? What octane fuel do you use?

I see you're in TX as well - have you been to any meetups or anything?

TxRap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Raptor is essentially stock, no tune.

I initially ran 93 octane, but then switched to 87 and don't notice a difference in performance or gas mileage. I may switch back to 93 in the summer.

I'm in Houston, and there's the Facebook group HARO (Houston area Raptor owners). I have not been to a meet yet. The closest thing to off-roading I did was take it to a hog hunt on some dirt trails, and didn't even need to switch to 4WD, lol.

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
I ran 87 for a while after I bought the truck. I did notice a difference in power when switching to premium, all stock. Premium is relatively cheap now.

The stock Raptor ride will be plush compared to anything with 20" mud tires.