"No Key Detected" and other electrical issues...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotLap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well been to the dealer for this and no fix yet. Anytime I'm driving/idling, the "No Key Detected" warning can come on. Been happening for quite some time now and more and more frequently these past several months. Just yesterday I started the Raptor and left it idling, (as I forget something in the house), and it gave me the "double honk" as if I had exited the truck with the key fob in my pocket. Fob was sitting in the console tray right next to the shifter?? Two weeks ago I had it in the dealer for this issue and they replaced my (brand new) key Fob battery saying that sometimes the aftermarket batteries wouldn't work. Well it's still doing it (with both keys) and other electrical gremlins are popping up. For instance, the "Auto Stop" function no longer works when I'm at a stop and the truck is running, and I've had the accessory warning "that it was shutting down" to save the battery. Also, the door buttons don't always recognize that I have the key fob in my hand when I try to unlock the door(s) so I have to manually unlock the doors using the button on the Fob.

Did some research and could be my battery is getting weak/going bad or the BCM having issues? Taking it back into dealer next week for another look, he's going to load test the battery and asked that I bring both key Fobs in with me. This doesn't appear to be a key Fob failure, but more like the receiver (for the fob detection system) or something else. Can the AGM battery really be going bad at 3 yrs. and 21K miles?

1) Has anyone else had these kinds of issues, and if so what was the solution?
2) Where is the Key Fob receiver/antenna located, under the cup holder or part of the BCM?

Any insight would be appreciated as my b-to-b warranty expires June 20th...

2018 802A Raptor with 21K miles...

Thanks!!

blwn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have a battery tender or similar charger, try to charge the battery. The Ford BMS system doesn't fully charge your battery to prolong it's life, but when you make a lot of short trips or don't drive it often, you can have get a weak battery that will cause similar issues

OP
OP
HotLap

HotLap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys for the heads up, will see what dealer comes up with this week and post results...

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Do you have any aftermarket equipment connected to the truck? Powering aftermarket from the battery or a factory circuit equipment will cause the truck’s battery monitoring system to read inaccurately, causing symptoms such as auto stop/start inop, “system powering down to save battery” message, and intelligent access (door handle buttons) not functioning.

The double honk when exiting the truck and closing the door is normal; it’s letting you know that you left it running. As far as the antennas, there are multiple. There is an antenna in each front door handle, one in the tailgate handle, and as well as 2 in the interior (center and rear). The center one is located in the center console, and includes a backup slot in the event that the fob cannot be detected remotely. There is also a Radio Transceiver Module (RTM) at the top rear of the cab that receives remote commands and PATS data from the fob.

OP
OP
HotLap

HotLap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FT1, thanks for your response, I had thought the double honk only happened if you exited truck with engine running and key in pocket? Good to know that’s not the case. I do have the FordRaptorLights Fog/spot LED cubes mounted and wired via the Aux Upfitter switches...they’re only live when ignition is on though.

Just back from dealer this morning, they tested battery and it was marginal so they replaced it. Raptor ran fine all way home. No key codes flashed And the “Auto Stop/Start“ was working again. Dealer did say the “No Key Detected” code has nothing to do with the vehicle battery status so they are replacing my primary key and reflashing both keys tomorrow.
Have to say this Ford dealer’s service dept. has been very positive and am impressed with their willingness to listen and be collaborative while dealing with their customers. Everyone from the Service Writer, to Shop Foreman and the Technician who worked on my Raptor have been great!

OP
OP
HotLap

HotLap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just a follow-up to confirm it was indeed my battery getting weak that was causing all the issues (see above). Have been driving for 3 1/2 weeks now and no issues whatsoever. I did call the Service Advisor and told him we didn't need to replace/reflash the key fobs as everything working fine now.

You guys were right (as usual) and appreciate the feedback. Great and helpful forum!!

julien194b

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello, have a similar problem, well ,not exactly the same, but, I explain.
after 5 or 6 weeks without using the truck, I couldn't open the door whith the" intelligent keys"
I had to use the mecanic key in the lock,after that , I thought everything was ok, but I didn't notice that finally I can't close or open my driver door if I don't use the mecanic lock, the passager door work well, and everything else also, only this driver door latch which don't moove. May be the latch motor has a problem, it make a strange noise, since the beginning, so for me it was normal, may be it's normal, I don't know... The truck is under warranty only one year for 6500 miles... But here, in France, the dealers dont' know this truck...

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hello, have a similar problem, well ,not exactly the same, but, I explain.
after 5 or 6 weeks without using the truck, I couldn't open the door whith the" intelligent keys"
I had to use the mecanic key in the lock,after that , I thought everything was ok, but I didn't notice that finally I can't close or open my driver door if I don't use the mecanic lock, the passager door work well, and everything else also, only this driver door latch which don't moove. May be the latch motor has a problem, it make a strange noise, since the beginning, so for me it was normal, may be it's normal, I don't know... The truck is under warranty only one year for 6500 miles... But here, in France, the dealers dont' know this truck...
Sounds like the door latch is binding, which caused the motor to fail. There’s nothing unique about the door latch on an F-150 or Raptor, so the dealer shouldn’t have an issue diagnosing and replacing the latch.