No fuel pressure precharge?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rage

Reaction score
I recently noticed my 2010 6.2 is intermittently turning over a lot prior to starting.
I assume low fuel pressure in the rails.
But
- No gas smell
- No Leaks
- No Codes
- Once started it runs fine
- No noted power loss
- Restarts Normally as long as I don't leave it more that a few hours.

Isn't the fuel pump supposed to pre-pressure the fuel line when I open the door?
Since I do not smell fuel and don't see signs of a leak, maybe it is a sensor issue?

OP
OP
R

Rage

Reaction score
Are you referring to the fuel pump fuse?
Mine has a relocated fuel pump fuse to 70.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you referring to the fuel pump fuse?
Mine has a relocated fuel pump fuse to 70.
yes. i would double check it to make sure. before my fuse went it would crank longer than normal to start. i took my truck in for service a few years back and they put the sticker on the fuse box saying it was relocated, however they forgot to do the actual relocation. so i still had fuse 27 in place even though they put the sticker on. it seems they forgot to do it or got side tracked after they put the sticker on and forgot

BenBB

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Other thoughts; battery getting old? Before I replaced mine recently, it seemed to crank longer when cold. Added any injector cleaner lately? I throw a bottle of Lucas in mine when I change the oil (along with drain & refill P/S fluid, and clean MAF whenever I change air filter). Using good gas, 91? Probably not likely but there's always a chance of a bad batch of fuel. Good luck!

OP
OP
R

Rage

Reaction score
I will check fuses, but since it runs fine once started kind of odd. (Ill pull the 70 and see it it kills the pump, to verify they really moved it.)
And the battery is new, I changed it about 3 weeks back when I 1st noticed this.
** would be easier to figure out if the pump just stopped, but it gets to pressure and truck is fine until a delayed restart.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The fuel pump will start running and pressurize the rails in a few seconds when you turn the key to on position.
Try waiting a few seconds in the on position before turning the key to start.
If that doesn't help, then it's time for a tune up or at least injector cleaning, MAF sensor cleaning, Star-ton enzyme fuel treatment.
That should be done every oil change anyway.

And you may want to go down to the starter and check the connections, loose and corroded connections will do that.

OP
OP
R

Rage

Reaction score
FYI, I do let it sit and it does not pump until I turn the key to the starter position.
** I have another truck with after market injection, and I have to give it a few seconds prior to turning the motor over.

My Gen 1 Raptor starts fine, except the intermittent multi turnover.
Runs great once started, just seems like the fuel pump never gets the pre-start signal...
And as far as I can tell it shows no charging issues
Has new:
- Plugs
- Wires
- Battery
- Belt
- Air filter
- Oil and filter
- Plus new tires. (37" BFG All-terrains)

Note, It did this before the battery swap also.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
FYI, the fuel pump does not run continuously, it starts and stops as needed, because there isn't a return line.
And while running it will cycle high and low pressure.
If you have someone turn the key to the on position and listen by the right rear tire you'll hear it run for a second or two on first start up of the day.

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
FYI, the fuel pump does not run continuously, it starts and stops as needed, because there isn't a return line.
And while running it will cycle high and low pressure.
If you have someone turn the key to the on position and listen by the right rear tire you'll hear it run for a second or two on first start up of the day.
What in the actual F, the fuel pump does run continuously. There are two returnless fuel system designs, and Ford has used both.

1: fuel pressure regulator removed from engine and placed inside the fuel tank so the excess fuel was dumped right back in the fuel tank instead of traveling all the way to the engine and then back picking up heat from the engine along the way. This was in the early days of returnless systems and has been abandoned for #2 in the past 15ish years.

2: fuel pump speed (which equals flow/output) is controlled by a fuel pump controller that is controlled by the PCM (ECM is the same thing). The fuel pump speed is based on fuel volume demand. A fuel rail pressure sensor is used as a feed back to the PCM so that fuel requirements can be maintained.

I assure you the pump runs all the time the engine is running, The pump in any fuel system will run as soon as the key is turned to the run position. If the engine is not started then the PCM will turn the pump off after 2 secs (20 sec on a ford diesel).

PS. There is actually a 3rd design but it is a modification of design #1, where the regulator is in the fuel filter and return fuel is sent back from the filter and never makes it to the hot engine, so semi-returnless really.