GEN 2 No CA emissions = more power?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Booth9999

Professional basket weaver level 7
Reaction score
I ordered a truck from a dealer and they were able to order it without CA emissions so that is why I was asking
It is also a no charge item because they all have it regardless of what you order or what the sticker says. I have a no ca smog package on my truck and is registered and legal in ca. The DMV will pop the hood to visually see the compliance sticker.

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Actually, I am confused... Seems there is a CA and Federal standard.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/d...EBQ9O70SVVNVvv1hpFF3Or2Iak18FUzJYPAJX75hHw!!/

This is one of the things President trump is in a fight with California on. He wants Federal agency to set emissions standards. So car companies can build to a single spec. California and a few other states, want to set their own standards, causing automakers, in theory, to have to build several models of the same car to meet each states standards. Which is bad for the economy and cuts profits.

California emissions were needed in the 70-80's when nobody cared about emissions. But in today's world, that's not the case, so state specs are a relic of the past.

What you have here is a rehash of the 1850's States rights vs Federal control. Just instead of on slavery, it is on pot, guns, minimum wage, and global warming related issues. We are a nation divided again, lets hope it does not take another civil war to bring us back to the center.

jabroni619

FRF Addict
Reaction score
now a days...all cars...well most....are california emissions approved.....in the 80's and 90's it was a much bigger standard jump and the california cars were neutered...not so much any more.

Yep, I remember those days. I don't even think I was old enough to drive but I was reading every issue of R&D and C&D I could get my hands on and noticed that HP numbers for CA compliant cars were always about 5 or 10 HP less. I want to say NY was also like that but can't say for sure.

RobW33

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought a Raptor without CA emissions from a dealer in MN. They would not sell me the truck if I initially registered it in CA, so I took it to my Montana address and registered it there. This appears to be a Ford policy. I just registered the truck in CA with no issues. The CA emissions package is just paper and has nothing to do with the truck programming or anything that would affect performance. CA is goofy in so many ways, I think this is just a way to avoid having to do extra work at the factory if it isn't needed. For instance, CA trucks have a prop 65 label on the drivers window to let you know that everything causes cancer. Why put this on every truck if only CA needs it. Maybe Ford pays royalties to CA and is avoiding this? Who knows, but every Raptor can be registered in CA without concern.

SD64

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so I took it to my Montana address and registered it there

Do you actually have a residence in Montana or were you a Montana license plate scammer? Just wondering because theres a few sports cars rolling around where I live proudly displaying their “I’m to broke to be able to pay the taxes on this car Montana plates”

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This is one of the things President trump is in a fight with California on. He wants Federal agency to set emissions standards. So car companies can build to a single spec. California and a few other states, want to set their own standards, causing automakers, in theory, to have to build several models of the same car to meet each states standards. Which is bad for the economy and cuts profits.

I think it's more that CA effectively gets to set emission standards for the entire country. I'm usually on the side of States rights, but this seems like it's better covered by interstate commerce and should be set at the Federal level. That's particularly true if you think of emissions in terms of climate change. If you're setting standards for the purpose of air quality, then that makes more sense as a state issue.

RobW33

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you actually have a residence in Montana or were you a Montana license plate scammer? Just wondering because theres a few sports cars rolling around where I live proudly displaying their “I’m to broke to be able to pay the taxes on this car Montana plates”
I have family in Montana and I can use that address. Montana is very friendly for vehicle registration, but it does require walk in to the DMV. I just had one of my relatives take care of this. Montana is a zero sales tax state but that doesn't help for CA. If the truck is less than one year old you will pay taxes in CA when registering it. Funny story - I hear that there are two Ferrari Enzos registered in MT. It's actually cheaper to buy Montana property and avoid than pay sales tax for that type of car.

SD64

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have family in Montana and I can use that address. Montana is very friendly for vehicle registration, but it does require walk in to the DMV. I just had one of my relatives take care of this. Montana is a zero sales tax state but that doesn't help for CA. If the truck is less than one year old you will pay taxes in CA when registering it. Funny story - I hear that there are two Ferrari Enzos registered in MT. It's actually cheaper to buy Montana property and avoid than pay sales tax for that type of car.

The Ferrari thing is funny but I’d believe it. I’ve heard of some you tubers who register their exotics in Montana. I lived in ND for a few years a while back I and I knew of people that set up an LLC in Montana just to avoid sales tax on vehicles. Never lived there but day tripped it over to register vehicles under their fake business name!