Nitto Ridge Grappler vs. BFG Ko2’s

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Good summary. The weight (+10 lbs in each corner) is precisely why I couldn't consider Nitto or Toyo. The Coopers seem to perform better, from what I've seen, and are only 2lbs higher than the K02s. The weight and speed rating are about the only things the KO2 has going for them, other than marketing.
The weight, that’s literally one of the hugest perks for a # of reasons...I mean really?

But K02s are and always have been a LEGIT off-road tire that can double duty as a DD rubber. It is bonkers to me that anyone would knock them that hard. They’re the perennial benchmark for an AT tire on a DD truck. Go ahead & try to argue that- there’s no debate.

I also find it odd so many people feel the need to replace em when they aren’t even coming within 50% of the trucks capability off-road w/ the K02s

FWIW I did replace my tires....but w/ a 2nd set of wheels & Nokian snows for the winter. That’s a move that makes sense IMO. Once the BFGs are worn check around I suppose....but unless you’re gravitating more toward mudding & off-roading i don’t think there’s a better option for a truck that sees more street miles.

Of course...unless you’re all about LOOKS, then by all means, go up to 37”s & +20 lbs a corner & see your MPG....& more importantly your acceleration/braking/handling go to shit. But hey- @ least you LOOK faster & meaner right?

Jonny V

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you stay with stock size, 315/70 R17, you can get the Nitto Dune Grapplers and they weigh within a half pound of what the same size KO2's weigh, 65 lbs. The Nittos have a T speed rating however, up to 122 mph, which is higher than the KO2.

In the real world, this tire size is a metric 35" tire. I'm not really sure how getting a 2" bigger tire makes a huge difference.

rtmozingo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The weight, that’s literally one of the hugest perks for a # of reasons...I mean really?

But K02s are and always have been a LEGIT off-road tire that can double duty as a DD rubber. It is bonkers to me that anyone would knock them that hard. They’re the perennial benchmark for an AT tire on a DD truck. Go ahead & try to argue that- there’s no debate.

I also find it odd so many people feel the need to replace em when they aren’t even coming within 50% of the trucks capability off-road w/ the K02s

FWIW I did replace my tires....but w/ a 2nd set of wheels & Nokian snows for the winter. That’s a move that makes sense IMO. Once the BFGs are worn check around I suppose....but unless you’re gravitating more toward mudding & off-roading i don’t think there’s a better option for a truck that sees more street miles.

Of course...unless you’re all about LOOKS, then by all means, go up to 37”s & +20 lbs a corner & see your MPG....& more importantly your acceleration/braking/handling go to shit. But hey- @ least you LOOK faster & meaner right?

I have two friends that have run nearly every offroad tire there is..they both rate the KO2 among the worst. Against my Coopers they have no grip at all on any surface. The fact I shredded them in 38 miles of offroading - the kind you see in the commercials - is just pathetic.

They are great if you run the streets 98% of the time and baby it offroad. They excel at fuel efficiency and ride/noise. That's it.

kpecks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had RG is the past and loved them. Will be moving to them soon when I’m done with the KO2

I’ve never run BFG KO2s but have had Toyo RTs and ridge grapplers on the last 4 trucks I’ve owned, including the ones on the truck now. I’ll probably run the BFGs for 10k miles and then sell them and put the RGs back on. I got into the take offs for so cheap, it prob doesn’t matter.

Glefevre87

Reaction score
I’ve never run BFG KO2s but have had Toyo RTs and ridge grapplers on the last 4 trucks I’ve owned, including the ones on the truck now. I’ll probably run the BFGs for 10k miles and then sell them and put the RGs back on. I got into the take offs for so cheap, it prob doesn’t matter.
KO2 haven’t been a bad tire. I just like a little more aggressive look. Plus once I leveled the truck the tires look a little small to me. IMO

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have two friends that have run nearly every offroad tire there is..they both rate the KO2 among the worst. Against my Coopers they have no grip at all on any surface. The fact I shredded them in 38 miles of offroading - the kind you see in the commercials - is just pathetic.

They are great if you run the streets 98% of the time and baby it offroad. They excel at fuel efficiency and ride/noise. That's it.

I had nitto terra grapplers on a GM truck & then KO2s & felt the KO2s were much better on the rutted muddy logging roads I ran through in ME.

But you’re correct & I’m in agreement that they’re better on the street than most other AT tires & mudding tires forget about it they’re brutal on the street.

My comments are based on assumption that most owners are doing the majority of their driving on the street- so even wear, low noise, & 1-3mpg better on the street would outweigh the drawbacks of a much more aggressive off-road tire.

I guess I’m surprised b/c people are acting like these are crappy fleet truck Goodyear wranglers or Michelin LTX which is def more street than dirt.

rtmozingo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I had nitto terra grapplers on a GM truck & then KO2s & felt the KO2s were much better on the rutted muddy logging roads I ran through in ME.

But you’re correct & I’m in agreement that they’re better on the street than most other AT tires & mudding tires forget about it they’re brutal on the street.

My comments are based on assumption that most owners are doing the majority of their driving on the street- so even wear, low noise, & 1-3mpg better on the street would outweigh the drawbacks of a much more aggressive off-road tire.

I guess I’m surprised b/c people are acting like these are crappy fleet truck Goodyear wranglers or Michelin LTX which is def more street than dirt.

Well I'd agree with you there. Ford knew what they were doing with the tire choice. I'm not saying it is a terrible tire - against other competitor AT tires it isn't great, but against most every other 'soft offroad' tire it does shine.

I think most people are frustrated the average life is about 30k out of them. Considering standards nowadays, that's pretty dismal life.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Well I'd agree with you there. Ford knew what they were doing with the tire choice. I'm not saying it is a terrible tire - against other competitor AT tires it isn't great, but against most every other 'soft offroad' tire it does shine.

I think most people are frustrated the average life is about 30k out of them. Considering standards nowadays, that's pretty dismal life.

Yeah I think they’re very sensitive to maintaining psi/rotating to get most out of them. I have 13.5k on mine & honestly barely show much wear & still quiet.

Previously the BFGs were known to “wear like iron” but the raptor specific ones are different compound.

Anyhow I’d look @ another AT tire but wouldn’t wanna go up in weight more than couple lbs

rtmozingo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yeah I think they’re very sensitive to maintaining psi/rotating to get most out of them. I have 13.5k on mine & honestly barely show much wear & still quiet.

Previously the BFGs were known to “wear like iron” but the raptor specific ones are different compound.

Anyhow I’d look @ another AT tire but wouldn’t wanna go up in weight more than couple lbs

I ran 34f and 32 rear and still got over inflated wear. And again, a few miles of Raptoring chunked them fatally.

I went with the Cooper ST Maxx for that reason. 65lbs against 63 stock. I think the AT3 is as light as the KO2 tho. The AT3 skunked the KO1 in an AT showdown, and since BFG only claims 10-20% improvement with the new compound, I expect the AT3 to be the better tire. My Maxx sure is.