NH Inspection with Tint?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NHDude4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I understand this is now strictly enforced. Anyone know if there are any legal loopholes?

Last edited:

Lacajun25

Reaction score
Not sure about New Hampshire, but in Texas, if you get the vehicle inspection done at the dealership, they “overlook” the tint.

I’ve had a 20% tint on one of my toyotas and I just had them do the inspection at the same time as the oil change and have never had an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
NHDude4

NHDude4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya I tried that yesterday and the service writer (who I've made a point of getting on a first name basis with) said NH is cracking down and not only could he not pass me with my 20% tint, but even with the medical waiver you can apparently get, he can't pass me with darker than 35% tint. I reached out to a contact with a collision repair shop and asked him where he gets inspections done. His local guy won't even overlook it.

Lacajun25

Reaction score
Heck with the tint guys and see if they have any ideas or places you could go for inspection.

I ended up just getting retinted to legal here in Texas for my wife’s mdx. When I asked the tint guy, he said that he pulls the fuse for the windows for his car. Apparently it’s not required to have windows but if you do and they are up, they need to be checked.

I thought NH was one of those states where the government doesn’t interfere with in your business.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
NHDude4

NHDude4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought NH was one of those states where the government doesn’t interfere with in your business.

Ya... That's largely very true. We don't have to wear seatbelts or helmets (though I do), get a permit to carry guns, or pay sales/income tax. Front plates and untinted windows are apparently the penalty we pay though. At least when you go for inspection you can zip tie the front plate on.

After calling around, including dealership contacts, I discovered NH has recently been cracking down on tint and no one will overlook it. No tint is the law. 35% is allowable with a medical waiver. My tint metered 19% when matched to the rears... I peeled it and have an inspection scheduled tomorrow with no tint. :bs:

other365

Reaction score
Does your state inspection require window glass? I may or may not have rolled down my windows and pulled the fuses for them in a past life to pass inspection.