Next mods (front bumper and suspension) what else would be smart to accomplish during install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sloracer

Reaction score
Asking for some feedback from those that have already done a front bumper and/or suspension upgrades to distract you from all this GEN3 chatter! My truck is way more of a daily driver than I want it to be, I have and will get continue to get it out on the trails, but the below mods are probably more for looks and being capable to play when the opportunity arrives.

1 - Front Bumper - Pretty sure I want to try and tackle the bumper install myself, and likely upgrade the stock intercooler while I'm at it. I love the look of the ADD Pro bolt-on (or SVC one) and figure while I have the front end apart it would be smart to do an upgraded intercooler (maybe a whipple stage 1 or equivalent?) - Anything else I should be targeting to accomplish while the front end is apart? What are the best bang for the buck upgrades to the stock intercooler - Is their a consensus #1 or is it all brand preference?

2 - I've read a ton of posts and watched some videos on what I think is the consensus around FRF for suspension upgrades. Deavers +3 and Geiser springs to level and gain an inch over stock height. From the forums I was ready to tackle this myself, and maybe at the same time as the bumper/intercooler install, but after seeing a few videos it looks like a BIG project for me.... I still would rather do the work myself even if it means I have the truck in pieces for way longer than I thought it would be. I would need to purchase a bunch of tools I don't currently have but probably need.... (breaker bars, torque wrenches, jack stands, maybe a second jack??) and then I would still have to bring them into a shop to swap the coils... Sounds like a fun learning experience, but thinking I better have a rental car on standby for Monday morning when I don't finish the project over the weekend.... Should an SVC or RPG bump stop install be done at the same time since there's more room to do this with the springs out?

3 - I did a few searches for local-ish Raptor friendly shops in NorCal (Bay Area) and didn't see anything from FRF members on good places to go that weren't dealerships. I know a good alignment place in Mountain View (Custom Alignment) that says they can do the suspension work and alignment on my truck, but they specialize in sports cars and are spendy but detailed - Are they really going to be the best place to work on a Raptor if I can't pull off the suspension install at home? Any quality recommendations in the greater Bay Area?

Thanks for the help!

BoostCreep

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Any competent suspension shop can swap springs and align the front end, but I’d prefer a shop familiar with Raptors if you’re going with a bump kit.

Take a look at frame cut vs bolt on bumpers, as that will dictate your intercooler choice.

Now is a perfect time to add some lighting too!

Braaaaptor

Starbucks Enthusiast
Reaction score
1) Consider what direction you want to go with upgrading your IC, do you want to stay in the stock location (both the ADD and SVC bolt on bumpers will allow this) or do you want to go the FMIC option. FMIC will entail a bit more front end deconstruction but the bigger surface area helps cool the charge air better.

For me also living in CA I wanted to stay CARB stealthy so I went with the CVF Titan in the stock location. You also have options from Cobb and Wagner that get good reviews but will be more costly than the Titan.

2) If you're going to rip it all apart I'd have a competent shop do it all for you especially for the front springs and bump stops.

3) Hit up Sarge Ternian and Chad Lindley on the NorCal Raptor Runs facebook page. Sarge runs a shop in SJ that can do all your install work and Chad or @Nick@Apollo-Optics can get you sorted for parts.

Also what @BoostCreep said, if you're going to slap a new bumper in, consider some BD or Rigid cubes to put in there or go with a light bar. More lights = more late night starbucks runs

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Honestly, what @Braaaaptor said above is spot on! Our friend Sarge owns Arseen Auto Body and does a ton of work for our NorCal Raptor owners and Chad is one of our awesome team members who hosts Raptor runs out that way.

Technically, according to CARB, intercoolers on gasoline engines to not need a CARB EO number, last I checked. That said, numerous intercoolers have moved forward and got CARB EO numbers including: COBB, ADD, and SVC.

All of the above parts you can DIY, with the exception of the shocks, and we can make it very easy to wire with complete plug and play wiring harnesses as well. The bumper and intercooler are mostly bolt on. And we have solutions for the ACC as well.

Feel free to send me a PM or give us a call and we can go over options and everything with you!

OP
OP
Sloracer

Sloracer

Reaction score
Thanks for the NRCC info and potential contacts. Nick was already on my radar for reaching out to about parts, but the NRCC FB page was not - As many Raptors as I see around the Bay Area now it makes sense that there is an active community on FB for them. I may see if timing works on the garage sale forum, but likely will get impatient the next time someone posts on What did you do to your Raptor today....

Retired in TN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got 3 quotes for adding running boards, Eibach f/springs, a 1.5” thicker leaf spring block and a reverse light kit. Shockingly the Ford dealer gave the best price. Not at all what I expected.

Peterb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
leaf spring block?….axel wrap
anyway OP if you frame cut for a bumper that allows more approach angle you need a rear bumper for departure angle or you’ll have bashed tailpipes