Newbie towing question-please advise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PBARaptor

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

Don't do much vehicle towing so apologies for the newb question.

I was hoping to be able to use a uhaul auto transport to tow my wife's x5 suv but after doing the math, I believe it's the stock system hitch rating on my Gen 2 Screw raptor that won't allow me to do so. Our raptors have a 5000lb system hitch rating and with the uhaul trailer and weight of the x5 I would be coming up to around 7200-7300lbs. My ball receiver is rated for 7500 so I'm good there and it has a tongue weight of 750lbs. Now I would be able to comfortably tow it if I was able to use a weight distribution hitch (10,000lb limit) on a trailer that could support it. But the trailer from uhaul won't work with a weight distribution hitch due to the design.

So...that basically means I can't tow it with the uhaul trailer at all, right?

I looked into buying a trailer but I won't be doing something like this very often or possibly, ever again. I literally just need to tow her suv one time. But I want to do it safely and that means either shipping it or driving it down myself by flying back to get it. We're moving about a 12 hour drive away.

Appreciate your help.

tempImageJ01yU4.jpg

2020FordRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agreed. Shouldn't be doing that. Take your time, and you will not regret stuff later. Last thing you want to happen is if in your mirrors you see you wife's X5 detach and go barreling down the highway.

tooloud10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't do a long tow of an X5 like that for exactly the reasons you mention, but no doubt there'll be any number of people scoffing that the limit means anything.

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
How far are you going? If less than 3000 miles, you'll be fine. :)

I hauled a tahoe on a uhaul trailer with the Gen2 and it was absolutely fine. Didn't sag out too bad at all. Just take your time and go the speed limit. Towed my 4 door jeep on a normal car trailer many times. Easy peasy.

OP
OP
PBARaptor

PBARaptor

Reaction score
Thank you for the response guys!

Wow props for towing the Tahoe. I'll be taking my family with and the last thing I want is something bad to happen.

Turbro

Reaction score
With weight distribution hitch, no problem. Without one, drive or ship the X5.

40% of my miles is towing with my gen2.

DAVfoto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
See if their are any other companies that rent trailers that may be more suitable for your needs. Otherwise I agree, drive down and fly back.

WEJER

Reaction score
You're on the right path, caution.

I've done and seen a lot stupid things after a lot of years. Being new here on the forum I'm reading about a lot people who've been lucky so far and some who haven't. Safety first and don't let your ego, inexperience, or just plain stupidity get you or someone else hurt. We run/haul a lot of big equipment and require all our people to have Class A CDL's. Regularly hire dudes who say all kinds of stuff, promise all kinds of experience, and tell us what they did at other companies... all looking to win a Darwin Award and get us in court with a law suit.

Drive down/fly back, professional transfer, or rent the right sized Penske truck and trailer for the job. Use the right equipment... you may heard the team's saying "Never shoot a large caliber man with a small caliber bullet."

IMO don't risk safety nor risk trashing your Raptor transmission which isn't really setup to tow.

OP
OP
PBARaptor

PBARaptor

Reaction score
Appreciate the response guys. As an update, we made the trek by driving both cars down. Glad I played it safe and didn't risk damage to my rap or my family!