GEN 2 Newbie Raptor owner, looking for some insight/wisdom post Cam Phaser work

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigCityJames

Reaction score
Hello FRF from Colorado..
After a very long search, found and purchased 2019 Raptor 802A w/carbon package with 8,500 miles in May 2022.
I love the truck and after a few road trips to Texas have 12,500 miles and growing.
During an oil service change at dealer, they suggested I get the Cam Phaser recall performed proactively as it had already had the software fix applied that was preventive and deemed not to work.
Upon picking up truck this week after completion of Ford warranty/recall Cam Phaser replacement, I notice an unfamiliar sound emanating outside my driver’s window.

Summary of Issue:
  • The sound is a hollow popping kind of wobble sound from front/engine compartment of truck.
  • Sound does not occur when in Neutral, only in drive/reverse thus in gear and load is put on engine.
  • The sound pattern/cadence rate alters and in alignment with motor’s RPM.
  • I was able to replicate consistently after 20min of driving when truck running, break is pressed, and I shift down to manual+1 mode.
  • Takes about 5-10mins of running before I experience sound
I took it back to the dealership and dropped off yesterday, where they acknowledge they’ve heard a noise like that before, but never been asked to fix it??
I replied that I test drove over a dozen raptors and never heard this sound, including this one that I purchased that they did Cam Phaser replacement on.
I was able to record the sound to play for Service Dept and actual file size is to big big for attachment, so I put them in a shared file link to listen.

https://semifive-my.sharepoint.com/:v:/p/james_sheldon/Ec0UkTJeHpVBsipLxt3soUsBPKhhtO59vSWf6gfWaj2i0Q?e=PL8Biw

This is a great Forum and If anyone has any history or experience with this sound/issue I would value your input.
Crossing my fingers its a simple oversight of something not being put back together correctly by dealership mechanic during Cam Phaser replacement.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I don’t get much from that video, but, it’s only when you’re moving?
if you’re hearing it only while moving, maybe IWE related.

Please retest with the truck in 4a on the transfer case. if the noise goes away or is different, it’s likely IWE related. if it goes away, replace the IWE solenoid - they’re like 7 bucks. hoses if that doesn’t work.

if it makes a different sound then it could be some internal damage to the IWE system.

coder

Reaction score
I believe the Can Phaser recall is just a software update. It is noted in the recall if a sound occurs after the update to uninstall it. Pretty simple not sure why the dealer didn't know what to do. There are several videos on YouTube that go over it. A Ford tech called Flying Wrenches has one about it.

ba123

Reaction score
Not the cam phasers, I am pretty sure. The cam phasers are loud as all hell and only make noise until there is enough oil pressure for the timing to be in the right place. Thre is a pin that hold the cam phasers in position at startup and the pin was poorly designed and breaks.

I just had this problem and was fixed, unless you're referring to a different cam timing issue, but doesn't sound like that to me.

dbalt

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dropped my truck at the dealer with a similar noise. They said it’s the torque converter and it’s normal. They said a PCM update was available and did that.

Will be picking up the truck later today (2020)