Newbie Picked up 1 of the 5 Raptor Crate engines for F100 Engine Swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I’d go with JDM for the tune also. But I’m not sure I’d tune it at all.
Coyote with a whipple would of been your best bet for power.

Good luck I want to see when done and how you like it.
lol I’d take a Cammed LS3 over that junk...course an LS3 w/ a blower would be even nicer

OP putting 3.5 EB into this project cuz he wants to keep it ford, best ford truck motor in modern times is the HO 3.5 EB - makes sense

Ford hasn’t made a good V8 for a long time- the voodoo & coyote sound decent, have good power for displacement on paper, but don’t have the same broad fat torque curve as an LT/LS GM V8, have tendency to be less reliable, are more complex w/ DOHC, & while smaller from a displacement level they’re architecturally bigger & heavier than a typical GM V8 w/ larger displacement. Always been the case- put a modular 4.6 next to an LS1 5.7

Cool unique build I bet the truck will screw

COBB Tuning

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Very cool project - I remember reading through your build thread on Garage Journal yeeeaaars ago!

Are you planning on using a donor vehicle for the ECU/TCM/BCM/other ancillary modules? If so, what vehicle?

Gregory Hoeve

Reaction score
Your truck looks awesome and will have plenty of getty-up but it is going to sound like ass.

Nah! Turbo pops on down shifts sound awesome! And, the COBB Stage II kit I installed make me not care what strict "V-8 or Nothing" guys say. Heck, I can even see most of them saying it in my rear view mirror...

It was fun giving the GT Stang hell the other day. I bet he did'nt see that coming from ANY kind of truck.

OP
OP

1966 F100 Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the v6 sounds better quiet. It's when they try to make it sound like a V8 that it gets obnoxious. Cool project of like to see it when completed.

Not a fan of a loud Eco either. For initial drive I will most likely leave current exhaust as it’s all custom built 304 Stainless. Maybe just change to quieter muffler.

OP
OP

1966 F100 Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’d go with JDM for the tune also. But I’m not sure I’d tune it at all.
Coyote with a whipple would of been your best bet for power.

Good luck I want to see when done and how you like it.

I actually bought a wrecked 2018 STX Sport 5.0 with 9k mi on it to use the engine and transmission in this truck but truck had such MINIMAL damage just fixed it. Put on 5k miles in just 3 months using it mostly on weekends. It was a absolute **** under 3000-3500. Loved the truck but no guts down low. Yes a Whipple would have been nice but it doubles the price of a swap. Can't beat a proper tuned 3.5 without spending big $$. Not only that but I would be like everyone else dropping in a 5.0 along with oil pump and other mods needed. Since I have already done 2 3.5 Eco Swaps along with a 2.7 I really wanted a 5.0 Then this 1 of 5 built crate engines became avail so it was a no brainer from there.

OP
OP

1966 F100 Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very cool project - I remember reading through your build thread on Garage Journal yeeeaaars ago!

Are you planning on using a donor vehicle for the ECU/TCM/BCM/other ancillary modules? If so, what vehicle?

I will buy a 2018 F150 with the lowest possible miles to get what I need. This will be my 3rd F150 Eco Donor Truck. What I learned in those installs I can apply to this one.

Eco2 FoMoCo donated the Prototype 3.5 but in the end it costed more than a donor but its nice to say it's a real Prototype truck engine and trans.