Newbie Picked up 1 of the 5 Raptor Crate engines for F100 Engine Swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP

1966 F100 Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dimensions of the Eco are equal or less than the LS.

LS is 26" long at longest point the eco is 23" including throttle body
The length of the 3.5 is only 20" Much less than the LS

The Car LS is 27 1/2" Tall Truck engine much taller by about 3".

the 3.5 is 28" Tall max

LS is 24" wide

3.5 is 24" wide but 28" wide including Turbo's. Because of turbo position not a issue to fit about any Ford.

LS weight no accessories is 404 lbs the 3.5 Complete with Turbo's is 404 lbs.

Price of the Raptor Crate engine vs the LS3 is 135.00 more for the 3.5 Raptor Crate

So far on the "CHEAP" chevy to buy the Accessories drive kit, starter, oil pan and PCM its been 4700.00

For the Raptor Swap I paid 3250.00 for a complete truck with 27 miles on it. It's used ya but not much.
That gives me a "EXTRA" very low mile 3.5 along with the 10R80. (Fair comparison? Probably not apples to apples)

But will do my Raptor Crate Swap for less than my friends LS3 Swap

Let's see someone add a tune to the LS3 and make 600 @ Flywheel on E50

Oh yeah, We are removing the LT1 & Going to the LS3

Bang for buck the Raptor Crate is a much less cost option. Especially if one considers HP per $$ for the typical enthusiast doing a swap.

SilverBolt

Hired Gun
Reaction score
Oh I know why it’s the case, it’s .

Oh I’m aware of it....and I’m driving a Raptor....but has me chuckling a bit reminding me of how “antiquated” & crude that stupid pushrod single cam design is from GM eh? Weighs same displaces 35% more volume takes up less space gets better gas mileage (depending on application” is simpler to work on w/ less moving parts & less add-one (turbos) to wear & fail. Either makes more power or pretty damn close depending which 3.5 EB we’re talking bout. If we were being completely fair putting the LT1 next to the HO 3.5 EB would make more sense- again, 2 very different ways to get to the same end result
I think we both know why Ford went back to a pushrod motor for their HD gas option.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Dimensions of the Eco are equal or less than the LS.

LS is 26" long at longest point the eco is 23" including throttle body
The length of the 3.5 is only 20" Much less than the LS

The Car LS is 27 1/2" Tall Truck engine much taller by about 3".

the 3.5 is 28" Tall max

LS is 24" wide

3.5 is 24" wide but 28" wide including Turbo's. Because of turbo position not a issue to fit about any Ford.

LS weight no accessories is 404 lbs the 3.5 Complete with Turbo's is 404 lbs.

Price of the Raptor Crate engine vs the LS3 is 135.00 more for the 3.5 Raptor Crate

So far on the "CHEAP" chevy to buy the Accessories drive kit, starter, oil pan and PCM its been 4700.00

For the Raptor Swap I paid 3250.00 for a complete truck with 27 miles on it. It's used ya but not much.
That gives me a "EXTRA" very low mile 3.5 along with the 10R80. (Fair comparison? Probably not apples to apples)

But will do my Raptor Crate Swap for less than my friends LS3 Swap

Let's see someone add a tune to the LS3 and make 600 @ Flywheel on E50

Oh yeah, We are removing the LT1 & Going to the LS3

Bang for buck the Raptor Crate is a much less cost option. Especially if one considers HP per $$ for the typical enthusiast doing a swap.

Yeah you probably missed my previous posts- got nothing against fords EB motors, but their V8s blow in comparison to GM. Absolutely - for turn key performance bang for buck due to the tunability of the turbo platform the EB ford engines tough to beat- if I could have TWO restomodded trucks w/ 1 of each I’d be happy as hell lol

BUT personally if I had to pick just one....I’d take a DI GM V8 for the sound, simplicity, & honestly even the “look” aesthetically in engine bay.

Will be cool to see the net results of both builds.

OP
OP

1966 F100 Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
8,000 fantastic miles so far! Been all over Arizona and a trip to Southern California
Nice being able to go 1000 miles on a fuel fill (if i drive it nice )
25 mpg on 91 and 20 mpg on E50 but gotta keep my foot out of it.

On base E50 tune it made 603hp & 658tq to tire! That was with power management closing throttle! Who knows how high it would have gone but no doubt over 700 lb ft.

The dips in graph are when power management took over! 3 times holding power back.

5C285A9A-0B07-47A4-8023-2B5DF8183B8D.jpeg