Newbie - Considering leaving GM for a Raptor!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
C

cold1313

Reaction score
Good to know. Any reason to get the certificate, aside from going "hey guys, look at this!"

redwreck

Reaction score
hey I have almost the same story after I drove a raptor I'm never going back to a Chevy half ton!!!

Stang

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe just me but the GM trucks look absolutely ridiculous with round wheels and square wheel well openings.

SonnyAK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe just me but the GM trucks look absolutely ridiculous with round wheels and square wheel well openings.

I agree...It looks very odd!!
That said, I've always been a lifelong GM truck fan and have owned way more than my fair share of them! When I came back into the truck market last year, the Raptor kept calling me closer and closer while truck shopping...
I bought a '13 screw and absolutely love the truck! I won't be selling my Raptor anytime soon! I'd definitely go ahead and get the current model with the 6.2, since you never know what they'll do in the future to mess things up!! Go get a Raptor - then you can come back and thank us for our input!!!
Good luck!

KevinMs

Reaction score
I went from a 06 Trailblazer SS to an 11 Raptor and I hate I waited this long. Mind you, I know this is an apples to oranges comparison but I could not be happier.

tplee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So far, nothing. I keep swaying back and forth. I was ready to buy it, then I swung back and decided to get a regular truck and pocket the ~15k+ difference.

Now I just don't know. Not thrilled with the regular trucks, not thrilled with the idea of what else I could spend that $15k+ on, such as a larger barn to work in.

I'll have to admit that I didn't read this whole thread (too long)...so you can decide if you want to read on.

I'm a life long GM guy myself. I traded in a 2005 CrewCab Z71 LT lifted w/ 35s for my Raptor (as in four days ago). Was it expensive? Sure. But a Sierra Denali or Silverado HighCountry each cost about the same...and pitting those two against the Raptor is laughable--but then again, pitting the Raptor against any production truck is laughable.

As for price, I paid $4k over MSRP, but they also gave me $14k on my 9-year old Silvy with 142k on the ticker...she only booked out for about 8k on KBB.

If its in the budget, get it; you will not be sorry. If its not in the budget, don't buy anything new. Nothing else is worth it. Nobody else is making anything worth buying right now. Hit up the 2-4+ year old used market.

OP
OP
C

cold1313

Reaction score
Sorry guys, I got caught up at work and sort of dropped the ball on updates.

I was ready to buy the Raptor. I asked the Ford and GMC dealerships to give me final prices on both. When the dust settled there it would have cost $15k+ to get into the Raptor, over the loaded GMC I was looking at.

I just couldn't justify spending an extra 15k for a Raptor when I knew deep down that the GMC would do 99% of what I wanted. Do I wish I bought a Raptor, probably. Do I hate my GMC? Nope.

But at the end of the day I felt like I would wish I had that extra cash for other projects. As a new home owner, I have a big list of projects, and that $15k would be nice to use.

I appreciate the help and all of the replies! This was the hardest vehicle purchase that I've ever done!

Smokinjo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Give it a couple of years and the 15K savings won't be there with the depreciation on the GM versus the Raptor. Hope you plan on keeping that GM for a long time...