New turbo sounds after cam phasers replaced

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

robl3577

Reaction score
So a few weeks ago my 2020 started throwing the check engine light, running rough and diminished power. In the preceding days I had heard some rattling at startup and wondered if it was cam phasers. Well, it was. Took it in and they replaced them.
I've had the truck about 2 years. I could swear I've never heard the turbo blowoff when letting off the accelerator. Now it is a very distinctive PSHHHH that I hear whenever I let off the throttle under medium to full throttle. I pretty much don't drive under medium throttle so I hear it all the time. I'm not complaining, but it wasn't there before. I mean, I know that the waste gate opens and blows off pressure, but never in 2 years have I heard it. Even when going full throttle and letting off. Just weird to start hearing it now. Any ideas?

More to the story of the repair. They called and said it was ready so I went to pick it up. The service writer goes to pull it around and before he gets back my phone lights up and the Ford app is telling me I have a check engine light. Guy pulls up and I said "do you have a check engine light?". He says "nah, you're good to go". I said, check again. Yep, light is on. So, in the original repair paperwork I noticed that it said during disassembly the tech found the timing chain idler(do I have that right?) in pieces. So, they replaced that, but not the chain. So, they took it back in and tech says we gotta replace the timing chain. I was like "really. you had the whole thing apart, saw the broken idler and didn't change the $200 chain???" So, back in the shop for a week. Anyways. That's the story.
As I was dropping it off the first time, a guy walked in behind me and I overheard him say that his truck was now overheating after the cam phaser replacement.

OP
OP
R

robl3577

Reaction score
I agree. The timing chain story was just sharing and I don't think replacing cam phasers did it either. I'm just wondering if maybe they didn't put something back together correctly?

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So a few weeks ago my 2020 started throwing the check engine light, running rough and diminished power. In the preceding days I had heard some rattling at startup and wondered if it was cam phasers. Well, it was. Took it in and they replaced them.
I thought you had a 2019? VCT rattle at startup does not affect engine performance nor will it throw a CEL.
I've had the truck about 2 years. I could swear I've never heard the turbo blowoff when letting off the accelerator. Now it is a very distinctive PSHHHH that I hear whenever I let off the throttle under medium to full throttle. I pretty much don't drive under medium throttle so I hear it all the time. I'm not complaining, but it wasn't there before. I mean, I know that the waste gate opens and blows off pressure, but never in 2 years have I heard it. Even when going full throttle and letting off. Just weird to start hearing it now. Any ideas?

More to the story of the repair. They called and said it was ready so I went to pick it up. The service writer goes to pull it around and before he gets back my phone lights up and the Ford app is telling me I have a check engine light. Guy pulls up and I said "do you have a check engine light?". He says "nah, you're good to go". I said, check again. Yep, light is on. So, in the original repair paperwork I noticed that it said during disassembly the tech found the timing chain idler(do I have that right?) in pieces. So, they replaced that, but not the chain. So, they took it back in and tech says we gotta replace the timing chain. I was like "really. you had the whole thing apart, saw the broken idler and didn't change the $200 chain???" So, back in the shop for a week. Anyways. That's the story.
As I was dropping it off the first time, a guy walked in behind me and I overheard him say that his truck was now overheating after the cam phaser replacement.
There is no timing chain idler, so not sure what they’re trying to refer to. It sounds like they may have forgot to install the bypass valve hose that runs to the intake. If that’s not attached you’ll hear the whoosh sound you described when the throttle closes. Since they’re taking it back apart hopefully they catch that and install it correctly. I’d also recommend paying for a replacement thermostat; that is the reason some people have experienced overheating after a repair. When the t-stat is exposed to open air it can stick, and with yours being opened up twice there chances are higher.

OP
OP
R

robl3577

Reaction score
@FordTechOne you are right. It is a 2019. It didn't feel like the truck was in limp mode or anything, but almost felt like I was pulling a trailer. Even felt a faint shake when under load. The codes were P0018, p0019, p0021,p052c.
The timing chain guide was broken and the locking retainer was bent.
This all happened a few weeks ago so I can't get them to replace the T-stat but I will keep an eye out for it.
Here is the printout from the dealership

Attachments

• IMG_8787.jpg
    IMG_8787.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 20
OP
OP
R

robl3577

Reaction score
So, does it need to be connected? I have to admit it sounds like a souped up racer with the pshhh! I know. Lame. But, does it need to be? :)

R Level

Reaction score

The overheating issue may be they installed the old thermostat. My truck is in for the R/R of phasers. I told them to install a new water pump, thermostat and Timing change kit which includes chain, guide rails and such.