Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
We just took delivery of a certified preowned 2018 Raptor with 38,000 miles on it. The dealership just replaced the oil pan and did some transmission work. I'm new to Raptors. But not new to maintaining 4x4s. In Land Cruiser world, enthusiasts recommended "baselining" new to you trucks with unknown service histories. This included replacing fluids, common faulty parts like dry rotted valves and hoses, etc. Is there a similar maintenance list that Raptor owners recommend?

Despite this Raptor passing Ford's "172-point Gold Certified blah blah" inspection, it as a vibration in the steering. The front driver side hub grinds (seems like the IWE Check Valve). And there's a high pitched squeak coming from the same area (none of which seemed to present themselves on the test drives). As well as some minor things like someone unplugged all the Rigid fogs. It's been back to the dealer once and they didn't seem to fix any of these issues. Even though it's under warranty, I'd rather just get under there and replace the hubs and check valve and see what else needs attention under the skid plates. Do you think working on the truck yourself will void the CPO warranty?

OP
OP
KlausVanWinkle
Reaction score
For example, how often do folks rebuild their shocks? In Jeep world, we did it every 2 years or so. But maybe the Fox's on the Raptor last longer since their OEM equipment?

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The shocks vary from offroad to street use and owner preference, somewhere between 30k-70k is the norm. I've never heard of doing your own maintenance voiding any warranty, unless you screw up something bad.

daytona1783

Reaction score
It terms of the motor, I’d replace the spark plugs. I’ve always heard to replace the plugs on Ecoboost trucks every 45k miles. I did on my Platinum right at 43k and it made a huge difference in how smooth the truck ran. You never know how hard the truck was run before you owned it. Use Motorcraft plugs.

If I were you, I’d address the hubs and IWEs yourself. I had a Ford dealer do mine under warranty and they caused further damage. I fixed both of mine and replaced the check valves myself in about 2 hours. Check out YouTube for go-by videos. Don’t forget to check the vacuum lines with the IWEs for cracks and leaks.

I’d also go ahead and do a Mobile 1 oil change, but that’s just me. Simple stuff goes a long way in the longevity of these trucks.

OP
OP
KlausVanWinkle
Reaction score
It terms of the motor, I’d replace the spark plugs. I’ve always heard to replace the plugs on Ecoboost trucks every 45k miles. I did on my Platinum right at 43k and it made a huge difference in how smooth the truck ran. You never know how hard the truck was run before you owned it. Use Motorcraft plugs.

If I were you, I’d address the hubs and IWEs yourself. I had a Ford dealer do mine under warranty and they caused further damage. I fixed both of mine and replaced the check valves myself in about 2 hours. Check out YouTube for go-by videos. Don’t forget to check the vacuum lines with the IWEs for cracks and leaks.

I’d also go ahead and do a Mobile 1 oil change, but that’s just me. Simple stuff goes a long way in the longevity of these trucks.
I think we may think alike. If they couldn't plug in the foglights after taking off the skids, I don't really trust them near the brakes and hubs. ;

Reaction score
I think we may think alike. If they couldn't plug in the foglights after taking off the skids, I don't really trust them near the brakes and hubs. ;
Picked up a 2018 w 50k and ran through some of the same thoughts and experiences. Two dealerships have missed things that I was able to find while I had it jacked in the garage. All of them were things “checked” off on the multipoint inspection. I searched online and called a handful of dealers throughout the state in an attempt to find a dealer I can trust. I love to build some sort of relationship with them based on trust and expertise. Hoping that works out soon so that I can rest a bit easier