New to Off-Roading your Raptor? You need to know this.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
John M BUNMAN

John M BUNMAN

BUNMAN-Adventures, Rescue & Recovery
Reaction score
I use the Garmin inReach mini. All the same communication features as the $450 one, but smaller form factor and $100 cheaper. It is a little clunky to send messages from the device itself, but it can be done. It is meant to be paired to a cell phone over bluetooth which makes it much easier to operate. I did seven 8+ hours days of off-roading in Baja in May and didn't charge it once. I also carry it with me when backpacking or snowboarding or even traveling out of the country where I'm uncertain about cell phone coverage so I really appreciate the smaller form factor.
I love that one! Only problem is I can’t read that tiny azzz thing w/o putting my glasses on :shakehead: :anitoof: It would be a big PIA to text with the unit itself.In 6-8 yrs of use I always use my pre-set messages, I’ve only texted once. On my low level plan texting will get EXPENSIVE QUICK lol
Like you, I swear by mine.
No Body- INS No Pay Family:)

OP
OP
John M BUNMAN

John M BUNMAN

Reaction score
John - Not to hijack the thread, but for those VP style cans I made my own adaptor. Don't use that dumb funnel we get with the truck (keep it just in case though) but go to the hardware store and get a coupling and a length of pipe that is as long as the white funnel (after you cut one end of threads off) and same diameter. The 1/2 plastic stuff in the irrigation section works fine. Put some thread sealer (something gas safe - I used Gasoila) and crank the pipe into the fitting tight. Cut the threads off the other end so you don't catch and tear up the 2 seals in the truck fill and you are good to go. Just screw it hand tight on the end of the can's flexible hose and poor. As long as you make it as long as the white funnel, it opens up the inner flap on the truck and you can dump fast and won't spill a drop. View attachment 314202View attachment 314203
Perfect!! Thank you very much for sharing :) that should keep me from wearing a few gallons of fuel ;)
I knew someone here would have solved the problem. Thank You Sir

OP
OP
John M BUNMAN

John M BUNMAN

Reaction score
Only the crew cabs has a 36 gallon. The scab is only 26.
Mark
10 yrs with my 2010 I always swore I was going to add a 50gal piggy back tank in the bed!
Of course when I ordered my 1st 2010 those MFers swore they wouldn’t make a crew Raptor. I need every drop of that 36 gallons and I use every inch of that crew cab. It’s a mental disorder I have, Redundant Systems and ohhh, here’s an empty 4sq inch space, hmmm let me shove a knife, flashlight or granola bar in there :pepper::banghead::Big Laugh:

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Great thank You. I thought those might me the ones you were referring to, we use those at the lake. using it with that dam adapter you have to use for the truck, any tricks or just a slow pour?
My off-road range is about 288, maybe 300 if I switch in and out of 4x4, I usually am not traveling further than that. The off-road range is obviously cut dramatically when I have 30-70 miles from gas station to trailhead when I leave the hardball. I guess I will have to grab a couple of these cans.
Do you Sta-bil them or just try to use them every month to keep them fresh?
The tips of my spouts fit in the factory supplied funnel without a hitch, I open up the bleeder on the tank and let it rip in there, for some reason my purple tank flows easier and quicker into the truck. I wouldn't worry about gas sitting for a month, but after 4 or more months I would add some, I just dump it in the truck or the lawn mower or any of my vehicles laying around, we have plenty of vehicles in this house. Especially with two grown kids free loading from time to time.

Bracamonte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use the Garmin inReach mini. All the same communication features as the $450 one, but smaller form factor and $100 cheaper. It is a little clunky to send messages from the device itself, but it can be done. It is meant to be paired to a cell phone over bluetooth which makes it much easier to operate. I did seven 8+ hours days of off-roading in Baja in May and didn't charge it once. I also carry it with me when backpacking or snowboarding or even traveling out of the country where I'm uncertain about cell phone coverage so I really appreciate the smaller form factor.

I, too, will throw a vote in for the inReach Mini. Had it for some years. I think pairing it to the cellphone actually gives you more options (and a bigger screen to look at). I don't spend as much time backcountry as I use to, but when I do it's often solo - running deep distances in the mountains or traveling to remote places. I usually fire off a couple of txts to different family members as I hit the dirt so several people know my whereabouts. I've also used the txts to notify them of not meeting a checkpoint at an expected date/time so they know not to start worrying.

OP
OP
John M BUNMAN

John M BUNMAN

Reaction score
These thing work great, though I haven't used it w/ the raptor, flows pretty good. Just stand there and mash the button.
Wow, that is perfect! Thanks for sharing. I just ordered one, FRF costing me more money again :Big Laugh:
Just to verify it will “push through “ the safety flap of the neck w/o issue?

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
Wow, that is perfect! Thanks for sharing. I just ordered one, FRF costing me more money again :Big Laugh:
Just to verify it will “push through “ the safety flap of the neck w/o issue?
I've never tried it on the Raptor. It's awesome for lawnmowers jetskies and stuff though. I'll go try it and report back.