New to Off-Roading your Raptor? You need to know this.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
John M BUNMAN

John M BUNMAN

BUNMAN-Adventures, Rescue & Recovery
Reaction score
I have high velocity race gas cans, I never had an issue dumping 10 gallons into my scab off-roading, just saying. Scabs Rule! :favorites37:
What cans do you have and have you had any leak/splash issues off-roading with them.
I bet your going to tell me I need some expensive Fancy Gas Can holder :(

Last edited:

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
What cans do you have and have you had any leak/splash issues off-roading with them.
Nothing fancy for what you are doing, I mounted a l bracket (flag mount actually) on the inside of the pillar by the tail light, inside the box for an extra strap mounting location. I will take a pic of my cans, never spilled gas ever.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Here’s the pics, you pull the tail light out and mount your ell bracket in that hole (all I can think of now is @Oldfart) with a nut and bolt to hold it tight. If you need further pics , I will mount it for you later today bro.1A61C491-F616-4FBD-9336-A8BC707AD1C2.jpeg30F35EF8-812B-49D0-AE08-A08A426A94F6.jpeg

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Here’s the pics, you pull the tail light out and mount your ell bracket in that hole (all I can think of now is @Oldfart) with a nut and bolt to hold it tight. If you need further pics , I will mount it for you later today bro.View attachment 314168View attachment 314169
I try to stay away from metal mounting brackets on any holes that I am mounting. Use rubber brackets, much better for your personal safety.

OP
OP
John M BUNMAN

John M BUNMAN

BUNMAN-Adventures, Rescue & Recovery
Reaction score
Here’s the pics, you pull the tail light out and mount your ell bracket in that hole (all I can think of now is @Oldfart) with a nut and bolt to hold it tight. If you need further pics , I will mount it for you later today bro.View attachment 314168View attachment 314169
Great thank You. I thought those might me the ones you were referring to, we use those at the lake. using it with that dam adapter you have to use for the truck, any tricks or just a slow pour?
My off-road range is about 288, maybe 300 if I switch in and out of 4x4, I usually am not traveling further than that. The off-road range is obviously cut dramatically when I have 30-70 miles from gas station to trailhead when I leave the hardball. I guess I will have to grab a couple of these cans.
Do you Sta-bil them or just try to use them every month to keep them fresh?

WC_Raptor

Reaction score
Great thank You. I thought those might me the ones you were referring to, we use those at the lake. using it with that dam adapter you have to use for the truck, any tricks or just a slow pour?
My off-road range is about 288, maybe 300 if I switch in and out of 4x4, I usually am not traveling further than that. The off-road range is obviously cut dramatically when I have 30-70 miles from gas station to trailhead when I leave the hardball. I guess I will have to grab a couple of these cans.
Do you Sta-bil them or just try to use them every month to keep them fresh?
John - Not to hijack the thread, but for those VP style cans I made my own adaptor. Don't use that dumb funnel we get with the truck (keep it just in case though) but go to the hardware store and get a coupling and a length of pipe that is as long as the white funnel (after you cut one end of threads off) and same diameter. The 1/2 plastic stuff in the irrigation section works fine. Put some thread sealer (something gas safe - I used Gasoila) and crank the pipe into the fitting tight. Cut the threads off the other end so you don't catch and tear up the 2 seals in the truck fill and you are good to go. Just screw it hand tight on the end of the can's flexible hose and poor. As long as you make it as long as the white funnel, it opens up the inner flap on the truck and you can dump fast and won't spill a drop. Gas Adapter (2).jpgGas Adapter 2 (2).jpg

Last edited:

jondle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Spin through the Navigation Thread, I talked about them more extensively there.
Short(Er)Version- They can will save your life, especially if you do mostly solo, off-trail travel as I do. In the cracks and crevices of the Desert I could be 2 miles off hard ball at Lake Mead and it could take a few days to find me.
The Unit is about $400-500.
Garmin is still the Best IMHO, they bought out Delorme.
I have the $15 a month plan.
once I turn on tracking and send my wife the checking in text/message, when she opens that text it will give her a Sat map picture of my exact location w/in 50m I believe.
The Garmin allows you to communicate with SAR once activated, you can advise them on what they are coming into vs just a distress call like other units. Ie: CPR in progress, fall requiring rope/helicopter extraction, etc.
When Satellite phones became affordable I was going to get one until I found out your $1.50 a min, minutes you buy expire! That might have changed? My Delorme is 5-6 yrs old and still works like a champ. I never leave home w/o now.
I use the Garmin inReach mini. All the same communication features as the $450 one, but smaller form factor and $100 cheaper. It is a little clunky to send messages from the device itself, but it can be done. It is meant to be paired to a cell phone over bluetooth which makes it much easier to operate. I did seven 8+ hours days of off-roading in Baja in May and didn't charge it once. I also carry it with me when backpacking or snowboarding or even traveling out of the country where I'm uncertain about cell phone coverage so I really appreciate the smaller form factor.