New to Off-Roading your Raptor? You need to know this.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

John M BUNMAN

BUNMAN-Adventures, Rescue & Recovery
Reaction score
SCAB VS SCREW debate will rage on until the end of time :33::shakehead::anitoof:
What you Need to know and pay attention to in order to keep from ruining your day is your route distance and fuel capacity.
My 36 gallons of fuel may be my favorite Gen2 feature!
Your 14mpg profiling around town will turn into 8mpg Raptoring around in 4WD in the Desert. So don’t believe your miles to empty of 300-400 miles. Calculate your available fuel at 8mpg. What safety factor/calculation you use is of course whatever you’re comfortable with and how far a walk it is to get fuel.
I always had to carry fuel with my 2010 Gen1’s and my Jeep’s. I hated it! Keeping it fresh and trying to refuel with those FNING cans is a PIA!
I try to Always Leave the Hardball with a Full Tank whenever possible.
I have had to stop at a Ranch in the middle of a million acres of Wilderness and beg for fuel. Luckily they sold me some at $6 a gallon, I would have paid $20gal lol.
Happy Raptoring, Stay safe and healthy.
Keep your Knife Sharp and your Powder Dry…;)239AF075-7505-4CB2-B971-C008EFB8B8EC.jpegA75AF04B-863A-4C79-A973-53F3B815607E.jpeg66E636F5-4821-4630-B92A-6C592BB85432.jpeg9CB885F1-8FDF-41BA-9F08-0378A6274E10.jpegBF2660A3-6A61-439B-BB15-31CB86F8A861.jpeg

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
SCAB VS SCREW debate will rage on until the end of time :33::shakehead::anitoof:
What you Need to know and pay attention to in order to keep from ruining your day is your route distance and fuel capacity.
Your 14mpg profiling around town will turn into 8mpg Raptoring around in 4WD in the Desert. So don’t believe your miles to empty of 300-400 miles. Calculate your available fuel at 8mpg. What safety factor/calculation you use is of course whatever you’re comfortable with and how far a walk it is to get fuel.
I always had to carry fuel with my 2010 Gen1’s and my Jeep’s. I hated it! Keeping it fresh and trying to refuel with those FNING cans is a PIA!
I try to Always Leave the Hardball with a Full Tank whenever possible.
I have had to stop at a Ranch in the middle of a million acres of Wilderness and beg for fuel. Luckily they sold me some at $6 a gallon, I would have paid $20gal lol.
Happy Raptoring, Stay safe and healthy.
Keep your Knife Sharp and your Powder Dry…;)
Great pictures!

I was on my way to an important meeting in Phila. and hadn't figured out yet that my gas gauge was starting to stick. I ran out of gas on the PA turnpike miles from an exit with 3/4 tank showing, this was way before cell phones. I had just been yelled at after the previous meeting for being late! I climbed over a chain link fence in my suit and went to a house to see if I could get gas. The guy was nice, but was all worried about getting his fuel can back. I gave him $100 bill and asked him if that made him a little more confident that I would return it. It did! I wasn't late.

When I took it back he was not going to even charge me for the gas, I pushed him to take $50 and take his wife out on me. Running out of gas sucks, no matter where you are.

Last edited:
OP
OP
John M BUNMAN

John M BUNMAN

Reaction score
Great pictures!

I was on my way to an important meeting in Phila. and hadn't figured out yet that my gas gauge was starting to stick. I ran out of gas on the PA turnpike miles from an exit with 3/4 tank showing, this was way before cell phones. I had just been yelled at after the previous meeting for being late! I climbed over a chain link fence in my suit and went to a house to see if I could get gas. The guy was nice, but was all worried about getting his fuel can back. I gave him $100 bill and asked him if that made him a little more confident that I would return it. It did! I wasn't late.

When I took it back he was going to even charge me for the gas, I pushed him to take $50 and take his wife out on me. Running out of gas sucks, no matter where you are.
Glad u were on time.
Running out of gas 100 miles from the hardball and toss in unprepared plus 100+ temps…you are now in a life threatening situation. My wife use to razz me about my redundancy of systems until she saw it could be the difference between life and death.
Soooo she bought me the Garmin Rescue Satellite transmitter or whatever it’s called. Mainly to locate my body, Insurance doesn’t like to pay out if they don’t have a body :anitoof::Big Laugh::Big Laugh:

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Glad u were on time.
Running out of gas 100 miles from the hardball and toss in unprepared plus 100+ temps…you are now in a life threatening situation. My wife use to razz me about my redundancy of systems until she saw it could be the difference between life and death.
Soooo she bought me the Garmin Rescue Satellite transmitter or whatever it’s called. Mainly to locate my body, Insurance doesn’t like to pay out if they don’t have a body :anitoof::Big Laugh::Big Laugh:
Yes, being late does not compare to maybe being dead! My buddy just picked one of those up last year to use when he goes elk hunting way off the beaten path. I don't know anything about them, other than the fact they they sound like they would be great to have if you get in trouble.

Last edited:
OP
OP
John M BUNMAN

John M BUNMAN

Reaction score
Yes, being late does not compare to maybe being dead! My buddy just picked one of those up last year to use when he goes elk hunting way off the beaten path. I don't know anything about them, other then the fact they they sound like they would be great to have if you get in trouble.
Spin through the Navigation Thread, I talked about them more extensively there.
Short(Er)Version- They can will save your life, especially if you do mostly solo, off-trail travel as I do. In the cracks and crevices of the Desert I could be 2 miles off hard ball at Lake Mead and it could take a few days to find me.
The Unit is about $400-500.
Garmin is still the Best IMHO, they bought out Delorme.
I have the $15 a month plan.
once I turn on tracking and send my wife the checking in text/message, when she opens that text it will give her a Sat map picture of my exact location w/in 50m I believe.
The Garmin allows you to communicate with SAR once activated, you can advise them on what they are coming into vs just a distress call like other units. Ie: CPR in progress, fall requiring rope/helicopter extraction, etc.
When Satellite phones became affordable I was going to get one until I found out your $1.50 a min, minutes you buy expire! That might have changed? My Delorme is 5-6 yrs old and still works like a champ. I never leave home w/o now.

PlainJane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
SCAB VS SCREW debate will rage on until the end of time
Your 14mpg profiling around town will turn into 8mpg Raptoring around in 4WD in the Desert.
Keep your Knife Sharp and your Powder Dry

8 MPG is for a Gen1
I have put thousands of miles on my Gen2 and get better than 14 MPG.
The only time I got near 8 MPG was the first day of Wyoming Trail Days and that was because I was in boost.

SCABS rule

OP
OP
John M BUNMAN

John M BUNMAN

Reaction score
8 MPG is for a Gen1
I have put thousands of miles on my Gen2 and get better than 14 MPG.
The only time I got near 8 MPG was the first day of Wyoming Trail Days and that was because I was in boost.

SCABS rule
8/9 mpg is the average I have gotten for about 16k miles in 4x4Deep snow/sand mode and 4x4 Low in Rock Crawl mode, probably avg 3-15 mph in my GEN2. I too get 14 mpg in a combined city/ Hwy if I keep it under 85.
After 240K miles on my GEN1’s I averaged 10/12 City/Hwy, 6-8 Off-roading.
My H2’s avg 10mpg, no matter what you were doing or how fast you were going, lol.
My 96 Jeep, w/3” Tereflex lift, 35’s got 7 mpg going to Reno into a head wind. Couldn’t get better than 70mph floored,
Can you say “Gutless” :(
Everybody’s is different. If you want to head 100 miles into the Grand Canyon Parashant National Monument thinking you will get 14mpg, good luck but I would take a gallon or two with me. ;)
Happy Raptoring:)

Last edited: