New to me 2018 getting hot on highway climbs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fur_pig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just picked up a 2018 clean 802a all stock and it gets hot and could be pushed to overheat on the Highway. 10th gear going up hills under moderate boost the temps will start to show up numerically above the gauge and can easily hit 240 if I don’t back out. I had a gen 2 previously and never had this occur even towing in the summer over the mountains with a front mount blocking half my radiator. Doesn’t seem like the thermostat is sticking, trans stays cool and doesn’t feel like an influence as I can get it hot on multi gear power passing other cars too. Anyone experience something similar? It’s definitely not normal, is full on coolant and stressing me the F out as I just bought this beast.

Sunchild714

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Water pump? I had an overheating issue and water pump was the culprit. Any signs of coolant leaks?

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Do you know the vehicle’s history? If the cooling system ever been opened, the thermostat can stick partially closed when reinstalled and cause the symptoms you’re experiencing of high engine temperatures under load.

OP
OP
F

fur_pig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Coolant is full, I’ll try a thermostat if that’s a common issue! Thx guys

Pinned

Reaction score
Do you know the vehicle’s history? If the cooling system ever been opened, the thermostat can stick partially closed when reinstalled and cause the symptoms you’re experiencing of high engine temperatures under load.
You're saying if the thermostat was removed and reinstalled it could stick? Simply flushing the coolant wouldn't cause an issue, correct? I'm having a similar issue with my truck after a coolant flush.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You're saying if the thermostat was removed and reinstalled it could stick? Simply flushing the coolant wouldn't cause an issue, correct? I'm having a similar issue with my truck after a coolant flush.
Yes, but I wouldn’t rule out a coolant flush either. Thermostat ls can stick for a number of reasons.

dsiggi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a buddy that just did a coolant flush and is having the issue. Seems strange I know since the thermostat was not pulled out but low and behold!

Yea what Ford Tech One said, I had same issue. Thermostat solved it