New to me 2017 - Sluggish

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blackwire1217

Reaction score
Hi All,

I use to own a Gen1 Raptor, went down other rabbit holes, and now I'm back. Just picked up a 2017 with 63k miles on it and it seems a little sluggish compared to Gen 2's I've driven in the past. Before I dive into it, I was wondering if there is anything specific I should look for first.

Thanks for any and all help!

17Rap.jpg

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Sort of depends on how you drive it and what "mode" you are in. Sport mode is more responsive, but even then there can be some "turbo lag".

From a standing start it seems there is instant vehicle movement, but does take about 1.5 sec to build boost. Which is light years ahead of turbos 30 years ago. But still in traffic it can seem like a week.

If you roll into the throttle vs mashing down to WOT it will seem much more responsive.
My $0.02 , at least for now with what you have posted

Tibi Steri

Reaction score
Make sure you fill the gas tank with 91 octane gas at least. Also the truck learned the driving style of the previous owner and maybe he drove it soft... You keep pushing it and it will learn your driving style. Unless there are some technical issues this should do it.

OP
OP
Blackwire1217

Blackwire1217

Reaction score
Thanks everyone! I'm not sure what octane it was filled up with but working on running the tank out so I can put 93 in it. I've been driving it in "Normal Mode" because "Sport" shifts extremely hard, like maybe it might be tuned but the dealer filled it with 89?

taybraith

Reaction score
Do you happen to know what fuel the previous owner used? 87 octane will result in a substantial power decrease. I would clear the PCM memory (KAM) with IDS or ForScan, fill it with 93, and re-evaluate.
Would you be able to elaborate on the steps to complete this?

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks everyone! I'm not sure what octane it was filled up with but working on running the tank out so I can put 93 in it. I've been driving it in "Normal Mode" because "Sport" shifts extremely hard, like maybe it might be tuned but the dealer filled it with 89?
Define "extremely hard". I consider sport mildly firm.

Baja mode is aggressive but still not extreme in my book.

It would be obvious some have never driven a powerstroke with a flashing O/D light.

anyway FYI the firmer the shift the less detrimental it is to the transmission. Hence the reason why a transmission code will cause the transmission to go to max line pressure in an attempt to minimize damage to the transmission.

Last edited:

Space Ghost

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check the plugs and their gap. Hopefully theyve been changed before, but either way youll find the answer there.

Frank N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If you don't do what fordtechone said, and you don't have to unless you want quicker results,It'll probably take two tanks of 93 for it to fully relearn it's new timing.