New to forum need help ! Truck stalling- dying

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Ratpatator

Ratpatator

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the advice much appreciated. Ill check the battery but it's only a few months old and the fuse 27 is relocated. My mechanic is suspecting the pcm failing also. Is this a common problem or not?

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It's not common but there have been a handful of posts of owners needing a new one.
I would inspect all three plugs carefully for loose wires and pins, moisture and corrosion.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ratpatator

Ratpatator

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I finally have a clue to what's wrong. My mechanic pulled the mode 6 data off the truck and found that cylinder number 4 has had 13 recorded misfires but doesn't say how frequent or how many together at on time. We think this is the cause of the limp mode but there are no other codes as to what is causing the misfire. I replaced the plug wires but that had no major effect on the idle but haven't had it die or limp mode yet. Next things to try could be o2 sensor, ignition coil on plug, or cam sensor but I would think these would all throw a code.

mstpn2

Reaction score
Hope your issue has already been fixed but if it hasn't.....I had the exact same problem you are describing but in a 2013 ford mustang. After the vehicle was at a ford dealership for almost a month they finally decided to replace the PCM and knock on wood that finally fixed the issue. They had no explanation for why it failed and it was hard to diagnose with the infrequent limp mode and different trouble codes everytime. Hope this helps!

OP
OP
Ratpatator

Ratpatator

Full Access Member
Reaction score

My mechanic found some codes saying I had 13 misfires on cylinder no. 4 and that this is the most common one for misfires on our 6.2s he had me pull my tunes off and I changed out all the plug wires and replaced the purge valve it hasn't went into limp mode since but it is still idling weird. I bought a cam sensor for the pass side and a crank sensor but havent put them on didn't know I would have to flash the new crank sensor and I don't really think the cam sensor is bad probably return it.
The mech said that there was a pcm corrupt file code when I had the tuner on and he has heard of this happening with the sct tuners before. He is a custom builder and does his own tunes and turbos etc so I may end up getting the edge CTS to run my tunes and also for the gauges.
Any thoughts ?

---------- Post added at 01:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:39 AM ----------

Hope your issue has already been fixed but if it hasn't.....I had the exact same problem you are describing but in a 2013 ford mustang. After the vehicle was at a ford dealership for almost a month they finally decided to replace the PCM and knock on wood that finally fixed the issue. They had no explanation for why it failed and it was hard to diagnose with the infrequent limp mode and different trouble codes everytime. Hope this helps!

I was wondering about that. I just read a post on an f150 forum about Ford having a quality control problem with their PCMs in 2011 trucks but we're supposed to replace them before they went out for delivery and that there were a lot of guys that had a late delivery of their trucks. It also said that there were some unfortunate ones to slip through the cracks and be delivered. Is there a way to tell if mine could be one of these. I'm sure unless I can prove it is I'll have to flip the bill for a pcm, if that's what it is, I'm at 100k now.

---------- Post added at 01:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:47 AM ----------

And another thing, the purge valve that I replaced looks different but Ford says it's right and that's what comes up when I search it online. The plug socket is orientated different and the tip of the valve looks different. Are there different variations or an updated version?

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've never run into this corrupt file code.
What is he using to get the info?

SCT platform is the best out there for our trucks.
As long as you have the device updated, they release updates quite often.
I just updated last month.

I really do not know this edge CTS, will it run a SCT file format?

OP
OP
Ratpatator

Ratpatator

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've never run into this corrupt file code.
What is he using to get the info?

SCT platform is the best out there for our trucks.
As long as you have the device updated, they release updates quite often.
I just updated last month.

I really do not know this edge CTS, will it run a SCT file format?

He pulled it up with his laptop not sure of the software but he said it's some bad arss stuff, it will try to fix problems it finds automatically. He said the code were on the "mode 6 data"...? Not sure what it all is
I don't know if the edge will run sct but I've been told the same by others that the sct is the best for Ford. I have one on my 07 mustang and replace an edge juice attitude, with an sct on my 6.0. These were also put on a few years ago so maybe this is a new problem. I have had quite a few problems with using the sct tunes transferring files and so on but I just assumed it was my own lack of understanding for computers and such.
He said that the sct will load the tune from your computer fine but when it goes from the sct to the truck it will do something to the file and corrupt the data..? I don't know anything about this tuning stuff so I'm at the mercy of others and advice...

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It's important to update the SCT device.
And always return to stock before running the "update device".

The issue with loading the Tune to the truck can a low voltage condition and having things turned on or opening doors or using windows or radio.
Those things can mess up the Tuning process.

OP
OP
Ratpatator

Ratpatator

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's important to update the SCT device.
And always return to stock before running the "update device".

The issue with loading the Tune to the truck can a low voltage condition and having things turned on or opening doors or using windows or radio.
Those things can mess up the Tuning process.

Yea I do the same thing I even turn off the screen for the Nav. I updated it about a month ago also and also return it to stock as well. All the troubles I usually have is getting the tunes on a new device. Usually computer related. I don't know getting tired of messing with it.