New to forum need help ! Truck stalling- dying

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ratpatator

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2011 with just over 95k and it has always had kind of a low idle in my opinion about 550 or so and the idle is very inconsistent always up and down sometime worse than others. It died on me at a stop light right after I bought it with about 9000 miles on it. Took it to Ford and they said everything was fine truck is within all parameters.
I have had it start to stall/ hesitate 3 different times and will start to miss on several cylinders and the wrench symbol pops up. As soon as I shut the truck all the way off it will restart and run fine with no codes no wrench symbol. If I only turn it to acc it will start but still be in limp mode. There are no codes saved on the computer from the incident. It is also still stalling on me at stop signs/lights. Does it with and without a tune on. My AFR is up in the mid 20s when it runs like ass but 14s when running normal.
Any ideas ? Bad fuel pump? plugged fuel screen hence the reset when tuned all the way off except for acc.?

2014RubyRed

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Take it to Ford and force the service manager to take a ride with you. They are consistently turning away anything that they might have to fix on their dime with the economy in the ******* like it is. You have to force-feed them into doing anything other than billable work right now.....

OP
OP
Ratpatator

Ratpatator

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last time it did it I limped it to Ford with it running g like crap told them it would reset if I turned it off so they made me wait for 20 min while a tech freed up then the tech turned it off while reading the codes took him for a ride with his computer hooked up but it ran fine.... not to enthusiastic about going back to them and it happens so randomly can't hardly catch it when I'm close to Ford.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I would clean your maf sensor, possibly replace your canister purge valve solenoid and do the fuse 27 relocation kit, all of this for under 50 bucks and a little less than an hour of your time.

OP
OP
Ratpatator

Ratpatator

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Already cleaned maf and throttle body when this started with no change I also changed out all 16 plugs. I did the fuse relocate about 6 month ago because it fried the fuse. Could the blown fuse caused a ripple effect

---------- Post added at 01:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:58 AM ----------

I will try the canister purge solenoid thanks

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Already cleaned maf and throttle body when this started with no change I also changed out all 16 plugs. I did the fuse relocate about 6 month ago because it fried the fuse. Could the blown fuse caused a ripple effect

---------- Post added at 01:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:58 AM ----------

I will try the canister purge solenoid thanks
Ive never heard of any ripple effects of the fuse 27, its own circuit, so not likely unless the wires were shorted on another wire and not the overheating issue most have had, odds are against that direction of thought though. Another far fetched possibility may be the oil pressure sensor, I remember hearing a story about that on here at some point. Good luck!

Doc Constantine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My AFR is up in the mid 20s when it runs like ass but 14s when running normal.
Any ideas ? Bad fuel pump? plugged fuel screen hence the reset when tuned all the way off except for acc.?

I'd look into this: http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f183/tsb-11-1-5-canister-purge-valve-1347/

Basically it's letting a bunch of unmetered air into the intake after the MAF, which would account for the AFR. It's a cheap part and a DIY fix, it's only annoying because it's all the way back by the firewall.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Have them preform a smoke test!
This is the only way to see were the leaks are.
Ford has a detailed procedure for the techs.

Had it done twice on mine about two years apart, two different modules, got the truck back the same day without going back!!!

First time it was the "Evaporator Purge Valve".
Second time it was the "Vapor Management Valve".

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ratpatator

Ratpatator

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update on my issue. Changed out the purge valve, it looked different and the wire plug is oriented different but seems to fit fine but didn't fix anything. I took it to a local mechanic who used to work at Ford and he does a lot of high performance stuff and really knows his stuff so I trust him and he doesn't even know what the hell.
He hooked up his computer and it seems that when the truck is running like shit it is hitting hard on only two cylinders at a time but jumps between cylinders...1 and 4, then 2 and 5, then 3 and 6, then 4 and 8 and then repeat it's self. And that may not be the correct cylinder order but you get the drift.
What the hell is going on. Does anyone have any ideas? AFR is at 28s

---------- Post added at 08:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:03 PM ----------

I will try the smoke test but I figure if it was a leak it would do it consistently and not so random it acts up about once a week or every 1000 miles give or take a hundred or so

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Well if it's not doing it all the time like you say, it might not be an air leak.
It could be electrical, wish I had more suggestions for you. Other than the PCM could be going bad, but without proper testing it's just a guessing game.

It could be as simple as a weak battery! Or the fuse 27 syndrome.

One thing though when it's acting up, record the fuel trims long and short both, banks. It will give you a little more info than AFR.
AFR reading is pretty general and 28 means the PCM is dumping fuel because it's reading a lean condition from some sensor somewhere or the PCM is failing.

Last edited: