New tires floaty with no "feel"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Metaman

Reaction score
Hey all,
I installed a set of new Yokohama Geolander AT-S tires to replace my worn stock KO's on my 2013 Raptor SCAB – standard size 315/70 R17.

On the street they feel incredibly floaty with little "feel" compared to the KO's.

In corners the lack of feel has me over-compensating with oversteer and generally I have little confidence going into a corner at a higher speed now.

Anyone have any similar issues? Could this be due to the lack of kevlar sidewalls making the tire flex more in the corners?

I have tried different air pressures too – 40, 44, 48. All pretty much the same.

Thanks for any feedback!

WRCRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
2 things to consider.

New tires can feel that way because the have more tread and squirm a little more the lower tread depth older tires.

Also new tires need to break in i.e. wear off the mold release agent. 300-500 miles

I have no experience with that tire so not much help for you on sidewall difference.

infinitereality

SLC IR/8
Reaction score
I had a similar issue no long after putting new tires on. Mine kind of scared me when going over bumps at higher speeds. I ended up having a front shock that was leaking, put 2 basically new take offs on and problem was solved.