New Sync update avail

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I obviously need to read up more on Sync 3. But apparently it looks like you can download native apps directly to it? One being Waze. Is this so and it’s independent from the phone? Meaning it can run without a phone connected? Just haven’t found out how to do it yet if so.

Killingtommygun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I try to connect to wifi at home through the truck and it still tells me to connect to wifi or some apps wont work properly until updated. Really frustrating

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Will they update with your phone connected by the cable? I can’t seem to update or add any Sync apps. But I did see a msg that comes up to enable app syncing and having your phone connected. You would figure maybe the trucks WiFi link would allow this directly but maybe not. Only for factory sync firmware updates? I wonder if one activated the cell data in the trucks internal modem would it then pull through this. I’m curious

Flash1034

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I ask Sync 3 to check for updates, I just get the turning circles for over 15 minutes...not sure if it’s updating or not....kinda wonky.

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Mine does that too. It eventually finishes but doesn’t give a notification about an update found or not. I checked my versions of the installed software and it doesn’t change. I’m pretty sure I’m at the current. The salesman attached my truck to the dealers WiFi to get me setup and attach my phone. I wasn’t as familiar with the system then to notice if it took an update or they loaded it during the prep. Then again the truck just came in over a month ago to them.

jzweedyk

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The update process is horrible. When I first got the truck I hooked it up to wi-fi until it shut off to save the battery. It never said it found an update, and even after I did it with a USB it never said complete. I suggest you do the USB route.

My other complaint is that even though I have the truck set up as a hotspot, it will not update unless it is on wi-fi. Their software engineers should be fired.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I obviously need to read up more on Sync 3. But apparently it looks like you can download native apps directly to it? One being Waze. Is this so and it’s independent from the phone? Meaning it can run without a phone connected? Just haven’t found out how to do it yet if so.

No, that's not exactly how it works. Ford has these connected apps that will show an interface on your infotainment screen, but all the process is still occurring on your phone. The principle is pretty similar to Apple Carplay and Android Auto...except it doesn't seem to work that well.

I've used the "Ford + Alexa" app with mixed success. Pandora didn't seem to want to work at all. I would have tried out Waze, but it's only available with iPhones, not android, currently.

I don't think Ford is going to do much with apps/features that use wfi instead of tethering (through bluetooth/USB) to your phone. I don't think there's that many people willing to pay for wifi just for the vehicle. It's sort of catch-22 though, since wifi isn't worth it if your vehicle can't do anything with it. Automakers are starting to work more with Google/Apple/Amazon to have better features though, so I do think the day will come soon.

I think the biggest issue is going to be what should and shouldn't be allowed with distracted drivers though. Voice control helps a lot, but you're still going to be limited in what you can do while driving.

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
At this point I am starting to see how they have things setup. FordPass app is the only thing that can utilize the mobile data active from Ford in the vehicle. All your Sync updates are through WiFi when connected. So as young said unless you have an active data plan in the vehicle, everything has to utilize the connected phone. With that said, everything revolves around the phone. And in that case it seems to fall back on CarPlay it A auto. I tried install and setup apps in Sync 3 and you can’t. In my case I have to have the phone connected and then it just goes back into CarPlay. Your locked out of the Sync apps at that point. Not major, but it would have been nice to have say Waze or any other decent apps natively run just on Sync if needed. I do have the latest CarPlay in the truck and verified that. It’s probably something in sync not functioning correctly. At least it’s easy to come out of CarPlay and go back in.

Pikser

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I checked on the Ford Sync chat and was told the WiFi update has been turned off due to the file size. The only way to do the update is with the USB.

alcoolaid

Reaction score
I updated mine 2 days ago. I hooked up a charger to the battery and left the truck in ACC mode while it did the update over WIFI in my garage. I went to bed and woke up the next day with the truck off and update completed. I sat in the truck for 5 min and the bar for the file download didn't even move so I'm assuming it took a while.

Overall didn't notice any feature changes but it does feel smoother and less glitchy with my phone (iphone xs max) plugged in. Good luck fellas!