New Suspension on my 2018

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2slo4u

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, after 45k miles and probably 10k miles in dirt, my suspension was shot. Truck rode worse than a 3500 Duramacx with the torsion bars turned all the way. Ended up buying some new OEM struts from RockAuto and the rears from EBay. My friendly neighborhood 4x4 shop wanted. $600 to swap them out. I said “screw that” and started looking on YouTube for some “how to” videos. Pre bought a couple of tools I was going to need, mainly a 18mm flex head Rachet and some heavy duty spring compressors. 4 hour later — boom, all 4 corners had new suspension installed. Just need to get an alignment. I now have a spare set of OEM’s to send out for a rebuilt in about a year or so. My son helped me. Front passenger side was a pain, but once we figured it out, we had the drivers side swapped out in 30-40 minutes. All this in 95 degree weather. It was hot but super glad I did it and saved $600 as well. Still kind of pissed that guy wanted to charge me that much. I guess when I said “Raptor” he was thinking I could afford the Raptor tax. I say screw him!!
Yes, I’m going to take crap for not putting Fox 3.0s on there but I just could not justify 7k for shocks that were saying that after 10k miles, they still need to be rebuilt. I spend a lot of time in the dirt so two sets of OEM ‘s should be fine

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I just want to know how many times you cursed at your son, or are you passed that point already, lol. Good bonding times. Next time we want pictures too :)

OP
OP
2slo4u

2slo4u

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just want to know how many times you cursed at your son, or are you passed that point already, lol. Good bonding times. Next time we want pictures too :)
LOL! Son and I have worked on cars and motorcycles for a number of years so we “understand” each other and has been a great way to bond!!! I think the hardest part of the entire process is the 3 top bolts for the passenger front side strut. Once we figured it all out the drivers side was a breeze.

RubyDaCherry

Reaction score
I did the same on my 2018, however I replaced them with some brand new 2020 live-valve take-offs and found some leaf springs that only had 8k on them. Only thing I had to get was the RPG delete kit. $600 is a pricey quote. I paid $700 for them to not only replace the shocks but also re-charge them with nitrogen, replace the leafs and install my new wheels/tires plus alignment. I then sold my used shocks and leafs for more than I
paid for the new live-valve take-offs.

Ski4Ever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My impact wrench delivers 700 ft lbs. I’m assuming I got close
I'm hoping you didn't get try to get close on everything, and actually used a torque wrench where needed! An impact wrench ≠ torque wrench! Out of curiosity, what impact do you have?

That being said, good job doing it yourself! I replaced my suspension with a friend's help also. I always try to do as much work as possible myself rather than taking it to a shop! :)

OP
OP
2slo4u

2slo4u

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm hoping you didn't get try to get close on everything, and actually used a torque wrench where needed! An impact wrench ≠ torque wrench! Out of curiosity, what impact do you have?

That being said, good job doing it yourself! I replaced my suspension with a friend's help also. I always try to do as much work as possible myself rather than taking it to a shop! :)
I've got two. My favorite is the Milwaukee 12v Stubby 1/2". It's awesome, especially when it comes to working on vehicles. Super light and is incredibly strong for it's size. I also have a Dewalt 20v XR Max High Torque impact wrench. It's big and heavy. Typically only bring it out when the Stubby won't break something lose. Typically use the wrench to get bolts off, hand start them when I put them back on, use the wrench to snug up the bolt, then use a torque wrench.

I also have multiple torque wrenches that I always use.. I don't have one that goes to 400 ft lbs so I just let the Dewalt Impact pound on that bolt for a few seconds.